Digital Photography course

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am considering taking part in a part time Digital Photography course which starts in September. I am not sure if this is something i really should do or not, and i know very little of what the course except it starts in September and ends in January.

I am not sure if perhaps getting this course would be a good idea regardless if its just basic stuff. I am also trying to start getting more involved in Photography as its a hobby i am gradually enjoying even more and wouldnt mind making some sort of career from it.

The course will cost just £60 (i make that sound like i am rich :lol:) which isnt really alot if it means getting some sort of qualification. I will try and find out some information about it, i just wondered if anyone knew of whether it would be worth my while getting this qualification or whether i should leave it.

Almost pointless post, i just thought i would ask experienced Photographers if it would be worth my while. I mean, the more qualifications the better i suppose.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am guessing you want to do the course for learning.

All i can say is, i done all the learning from experience. Get a digital camera (my fav is the canon 300D) and take some photos. You gradually learn new functions and get to learn about aperture, shutter speeds etc...

Hope it helps.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been doing the same and to be honest i dont think i could have bought a better digi cam in January. The HP Photosmart R607 has really been quite a good purchase and a bargain. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Regards the course, i was hoping to have it as some sort of course that might be recognised. I was meaning to call the college i was going to do this with today and find out more about it but it just slipped my mind for some reason.

I just wondered if it could be a recognised course of some sort. To be honest i have really not provided much info on the original topic (nor this one) so i dont expect to hear any replies as its almost been pointless :oops:
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest i am not sure about recognisable photography courses. I was also interested at one point to do a course at college, but the interest just collapsed (due to laziness).

Yeah could be a pointless topic, but at least you got a poster! :D
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I don't know too much about what goes on in a digital photography course but, I took photography classes for four years, two in high school and two in college. Despite my predisposed knowledge of a camera and how to use one I still managed to learn a lot from my instructors. Taking classes to learn more about your profession is never a bad idea.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone.

I think i might do that, its a hobby i have really started to enjoy. So if i can learn different ways of doing things then brilliant! I cannot wait to learn more about it.

Would be great to have some sort of photography course on my CV. Just to begin.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check that the course is what you want before you pay/apply.

If it's a course in general composure techniques for point-n-shoots, and you're using a point-n-shoot, then great.

If it's a detailed course on aperture, exposure, etc. for digital SLRs, then as a point-n-shoot owner, it's going to be useless.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Axe!

I really appreciate everyones responses, i will try and find out more about it tomorrow.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty much agreed with the others. Although I've never made a career out of photography, it has always been an enjoyable hobby. What I benefited most from the one course I took in college was the composition aspect - in other words how to take a good picture. No matter how good your equipment is, if you don't have a good "eye" for a shot, your photography isn't going to be worth a lick whether it's just for fun, or as a career.
  • Lordhaha
  • Lordhaha

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi SB - Did you actually find out the content of this course. I teach Digital Imaging at college's here in the UK and the course can take many turns including camera work, but mainly it involves Photoshop and its uses with digital photography

Regards
JohnT
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got this email a few minutes ago from the college with a description of what the course is about...

Quote:
The course is designed to enable students to gain expertise in the ever growing world of digital photography. The course will cover the use of the camera and with access to computers will enable students to produce and manipulate images electronically. Appropriate output devices will also be demonstrated and used on the course.

To be honest, i dont believe its worth it.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya SB, I have read through the thread and there are lots of good pointers, especially Axe's is a big one to keep in mind.

What you need to do is think about:

1) Where you are at now with your experience with digital photography

2) What you want to get out of a course, ie: experience with using your using your cam and basic manipulation using Photoshop etc for websites you make etc

3) Get info on courses around, go and speak to the colleges and sometimes you can actually go sit in on a class to see whether its for you.

Digital photography is a popular course so I have no doubt you will find something in your budget and experience.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:)

Thank you everyone. I am going to have a look at other courses before committing myself to any right now. Although it would be great to start in the very near future.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts