Drawing Tablets!

• Cary Chilton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cary Chilton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone I am new here. I thought it was time to join an art forum and this seems like a great place!

Actually, I have a wacom tablet that regrettably sat in storage for a long time.. I never had a newer version of photoshop and still don't, but I will buy photoshop/illustrator soon. BTW what drawing programs are you guys using, photoshop/illustrator/corell or another?

So I pulled out my wacom Intuos tablet out. Installed the latest driver. It's a large tablet, 18-20 inches in width? Anyway, I saw Wacom's latest products. WOW. A lot of newer products.

Do you think the the newer Intuos (now black with a circle dial) is going to be necessary to get or is my older tablet fine for drawing? (4-5 years old)

Also is anyone using the the Wacom CintiQ? Looks cool. I wonder if you have to prop the CintiQ up or if it can lay flat, too. I wonder what advantages the CintiQ's LCD display brings or doesn't. Does it act as a true extension of your desktop, like two monitors or does it simply reflect what is happening on your desktop. Does the use of drawing on a screen make things that much more intuitive or it is it novel, cool, but unnecessary? Is the CintiQ's screen as sensitive as the Intuos' pad?

Thanks guys!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow thats a lot of questions :-) I'll do my best though.

I use my tablet with Photoshop/After Effects/Illustrator/Cinema4D/ZBrush with mapped buttons/settings but by default the tablets really just work like another mouse so they'll function with just about any program.

I wouldn't worry about spending your money on a new Wacom. The one you have should work just fine provided it has a USB plug instead of the serial port connection that the really old ones have. Otherwise they're pretty similar and even the old versions work quite well.

As for the CintiQ the price is really high, but it is actually a touch screen monitor so it acts like another physical display. I've had a chance to use one and it does feel very natural and they don't have the disconnect of not seeing your drawing below the stylus as you would with paper/pencil. As for the sensitivity they're easily as good or better than the other Wacom products.
  • Cary Chilton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cary Chilton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Graphix boy!
  • dellx
  • dellx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I use a Trust tablet, (apart from being a6,a5) it gets the job done. I'm also using only Adobe Photoshop CS3. Looking for other graphic softwear though ...
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want a tablet i would love to start drawing on the computer, would make web dev life a little easier.
  • dellx
  • dellx

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got my tablet when i was 18. i was just graduating school and my parents gave me money for a cover fee in a resturant with my schoolmates, but i went in the nearest pc hardwear store and bouth a tablet. they where little pissed though, but gave me more money :D
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

dellx wrote:
i got my tablet when i was 18. i was just graduating school and my parents gave me money for a cover fee in a resturant with my schoolmates, but i went in the nearest pc hardwear store and bouth a tablet. they where little pissed though, but gave me more money :D

lol that is lucky haha
  • FlashCartoonLibrary
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a Wacom Intuos 2 that is 6 x 8". It works great for me. If you have the money, buy the new one if you want. I'm happy with my older one, but then again I have never tried the new ones. Ignorance is bliss, i guess.
  • Gooseman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gooseman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Wacom Bamboo and it's the best thing ever, even though it's not their latest product. You should really look for some reviews and if you like it, go for it. :D
  • jillysb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer my oldest tablet and pen wacom but it's broke and I got a newer one and can't warm to it.
  • Fosco999
  • Fosco999

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mainly used G.I.M.P because it is open-source. There is a huge following for GIMP and there are a ton of brushes and stuff to download. And it is all FREE. GIMP is supposed to be an open-source alternative to photoshop.

Kindest Regards,
  • jillysb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I was looking into it as I have a mac now and it's one of the top programs
  • Jeen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jeen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Wacom Intuos2, and it works great.
But if I want to draw black and white line art, I think Cintiq is a better choise.
I always use Paint tool SAI or Clip Studio Paint.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts