Fade to background

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im making this pseudo-collagelike picture in photoshop, and I want to be able to fade pictures from one layer into the one below it. I cant do a 'normal' fade using a gradient because my background is not a solid color. I guess waht I need is a way to gradually decrease the opacity down a gradient, but I am not sure how do do this. Does anyone know how I could do this, or another way I could achieve the same end?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your in luck. :D

I'm sure you know how to find the Gradient tool in the toolbox. Once it's selected, some options for the tool will appear in the bar below the text menu(File, Edit, View, etc.). Click on the gradient bar you see there (click on the gradient itself, not the drop-down button).

The resulting dialog should look like this. Observe the big gradient bar that about 2/3rds the way down the dialog.

There are keys on the top and bottom of the bar. The keys on the top control opacity stops. The keys on the bottom control color stops. Select a stop key by clicking on it. When it's highlighted, you'll find an opacity percent slider in the area below.

Nice thing here is that your opacity and color stops aren't tied to each other. This is a great gradient editor. :thumbsup:

BTW: One of the default gradient types is foreground to transparent. Instead of clicking on the gradient itself in the options panel, click on the drop down arrow.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but the foreground and bacground in the gradient editor arent layers, they are the foreground and background colors on the tools bar...

I guess I phrased my question poorly... I want to fade one layer into another gradually, so that it looks like the layer is fading into the layer below it...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, ok. In that case, check out the "Apply Image" command.

Photoshop Help Files wrote:
The Apply Image command lets you blend one image's layer and channel (the source) with a layer and channel of the active image (the destination).
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use Photoshop & I'm not sure how it deals with Masking, however this is how I would do it with Fireworks.

First we have our background image.

Now we place our foreground image in place.
*NOTE - Cutting around the foreground image with a Feather Edge will give you greater controll over your opacity levels than leaving straight edges will.

Next we create a rectangle the same size as out foreground image. Make sure to use some sort of gradient, I choose to use a linear gradient for this example.
Keep in mind our opacity will use white ( FFFFFF ) for 100% opacity & black ( 000000 ) for 0% opacity, greys being 1 - 99%.

With the gradient rectangle still selected Right-click - Edit - Cut. Then select the foreground image & Right-click - Edit - Paste As Mask.

Now if it's not open allready, open the Properties Panel ( Ctrl + F3 ) & make sure that Greyscale Appearance is selected for Mask.

Now we adjust the fill handles of our gradient untill we have the desired effect.

Add a border, some text, & our example is finished. :)
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks! thats exactly what I needed!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

For thoose using Fireworks here's thoose steps to be saved as a command (.jsf) :D

Code: [ Select ]
var dom = fw.getDocumentDOM();
var maskee = dom.getSelectionBounds();
var maskX = ((maskee.right - maskee.left) - 1) / 4;

dom.clipCut();
dom.addNewLayer(null,false);
dom.clipPaste();

dom.addNewRectanglePrimitive({left:maskee.left, top:maskee.top, right:maskee.right, bottom:maskee.bottom}, 0);
dom.setFill({ category:"fc_Linear", ditherColors:[ "#000000", "#000000" ], edgeType:"hard", feather:0, gradient:{ name:"cn_Custom", nodes:[ { color:"#ffffff", isOpacityNode:false, position:0 }, { color:"#000000", isOpacityNode:false, position:1 } ], opacityNodes:[ { color:"#000000", isOpacityNode:true, position:0 }, { color:"#000000", isOpacityNode:true, position:1 } ] }, name:"fn_Linear", pattern:null, shape:"linear", stampingMode:"blend opaque", textureBlend:0, webDitherTransparent:false });
dom.moveFillVectorHandleBy({x:maskX, y:0}, "start", false, false);
dom.moveFillVectorHandleBy({x:maskX*3, y:0}, "end1", false, false);
dom.clipCut();
dom.selectAllOnLayer(dom.currentLayerNum);
dom.clipPasteAsMask("ask user", "vector", "ask user");
dom.setElementMaskMode("mask to image");
  1. var dom = fw.getDocumentDOM();
  2. var maskee = dom.getSelectionBounds();
  3. var maskX = ((maskee.right - maskee.left) - 1) / 4;
  4. dom.clipCut();
  5. dom.addNewLayer(null,false);
  6. dom.clipPaste();
  7. dom.addNewRectanglePrimitive({left:maskee.left, top:maskee.top, right:maskee.right, bottom:maskee.bottom}, 0);
  8. dom.setFill({ category:"fc_Linear", ditherColors:[ "#000000", "#000000" ], edgeType:"hard", feather:0, gradient:{ name:"cn_Custom", nodes:[ { color:"#ffffff", isOpacityNode:false, position:0 }, { color:"#000000", isOpacityNode:false, position:1 } ], opacityNodes:[ { color:"#000000", isOpacityNode:true, position:0 }, { color:"#000000", isOpacityNode:true, position:1 } ] }, name:"fn_Linear", pattern:null, shape:"linear", stampingMode:"blend opaque", textureBlend:0, webDitherTransparent:false });
  9. dom.moveFillVectorHandleBy({x:maskX, y:0}, "start", false, false);
  10. dom.moveFillVectorHandleBy({x:maskX*3, y:0}, "end1", false, false);
  11. dom.clipCut();
  12. dom.selectAllOnLayer(dom.currentLayerNum);
  13. dom.clipPasteAsMask("ask user", "vector", "ask user");
  14. dom.setElementMaskMode("mask to image");
  • davenewt
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In Photoshop you could just create a layer mask on the top layer (click the 'add layer mask' button in the layers palette with the top layer selected) and fill it with a black-white gradient.

Any black parts of the layer mask will let the bottom image show through (the level of black in the layer mask determines how transparent the image is).

Cheers,
Dave 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts