A few Creamsicle Corn Snake photos from this evening...

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I was cleaning out cages, I figured I'd pull out the camera and see if I could make any use of my Sigma 50mm f/2.8 MF Macro Lens.

Now, with the D100 having a much smaller viewfinder than my N90s, I've not had much look with using manual focus lenses, but for tonights photos, it actually worked out pretty good. This is also the first time I've used my D100 in fully manual mode. All the automatic stuff was turned off. Probably my only "cheat" was the dual D-TTL flash :)

A Creamsicle Corn Snake is actually a hybrid. It's an Amelanistic Corn Snake (meaning that it has no black pigment - often incorrectly referred to as "albino"), bred with an Emory's Rat Snake. The offspring of this pairing is then bred to offspring of similarly inclined, but unrelated, pairings. Once those offspring pairs produce offspring of their own, you will start to see some that look like these..

First up is my 2002 male. This guy was kinda pissed with me tonight, in fact, both of the creamsicles i had in front of the camera this evening were kind of in a bad mood :)

This is one of my 2003 females. She was slightly more annoyed than the male above, and struck at the camera quite a few times during the course of her short career as a model :D

And here's one more of my male again, this one is an extreme close-up showing quite a bit of scale detail.

The eye colour didn't turn out quite right. They do actually have red eyes, but I've not quite figured out how to capture this on camera yet.

Funny, for decades, people have been trying to figure out how to GET RID of red-eye, now I'm trying to preserve it, lol.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

yanno i have a lot of dreams about snakes biting me, however I still think they are absolutely gorgeous creatures. i dont think i could ever own one though. i have a bad track record with pets lol :P
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, well, coming from the country that contains some of the most dangerous snakes in the world, your dreams don't surprise me :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice axe. I love the details on the scales of the last one :thumbsup:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I lucked out on that one... I can't wait to see how much detail I can get on the adults once they've finished digesting...

I just can't seem to get the red in the eyes though :(
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, number 3 all they way. :thumbsup:

Have you ever thought of setting up a background/sweep to photo these guys?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To make it look like nothing else exists besides them and they're just "floating" on nothingness?

Yeah, I want to be able to do that eventually... It looks REALLY effective on white, just having them and a light diffused shadow (kind of like in The Matrix where Morpheus explains to Neo what the matrix is).

With the brightly coloured individuals a black background would look amazing (especially if it's going on a black backgrounded site)...

But I still want to get some of my technical points down first before I start messing with more elaborate setups. Figure out exposures, white balance, and how to keep the red eyes on amelanistic animals :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts