file sizes

• mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
I have made a few sigs in the last few days, and noticed that they are well over the 6k limit for this board. I have one that is animated, and one thats not, how are you able to keep file sizes down?
Thanx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would imagine making these images in JPEG should reduce the size. If you are using Photoshop (i would use ImageReady) go to File>Export>JPEG (i think that is how its done, doing it off the top of my head) and then save it as whatever filename, this should reduce the size of the file.

I dont think you would be able to create an animated signature without making the file to big.
  • davenewt
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I would imagine making these images in JPEG should reduce the size. If you are using Photoshop (i would use ImageReady) go to File>Export>JPEG (i think that is how its done, doing it off the top of my head) and then save it as whatever filename, this should reduce the size of the file.

I dont think you would be able to create an animated signature without making the file to big.

From Photoshop, you'd do a File>Save For Web which lets you experiment with different options before you save. At the bottom of this window it tells you the predicted file sizes so you can tweak all the options to find out how to make it as small as possible without losing too much quality. JPEG, different levels of compression (60 percent is often quite acceptable) or even a 64/128 colour non-dithered GIF can be enough for small graphics.

Explore and Discover :)

Cheers,
Dave 8)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i was wrong. I was going to suggest you could save it as a "HTML or image" but i wasnt sure if that would make it smaller.
  • davenewt
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
ok, i was wrong. I was going to suggest you could save it as a "HTML or image" but i wasnt sure if that would make it smaller.

Not sure what you mean by "HTML or image"? That option in Photoshop is for when you slice up an image and want Photoshop to export all the individual image files and write an HTML file which puts all the pieces back together for you.

Cheers,
Dave 8)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

ok, i am gonna stop now. I dont know what i am on about. Ignore me mtracerz.

:oops:
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ignored :D
i will try tweaking it around, see what results I get,
thanx for the suggestions,rik
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The GIF image format is best used for images comprised of solid colors and linear gradients. JPGs are best used for photographic images, or otherwise, images that are comprised of many varying colors.

JPGs use a percentage based compression system. They can be "optimized" or not. They can be progressive (NOT RECOMMENDED), or not. Too much compression will result in something called artifacting, or blotchiness. It will also produce flat colors.

GIF's can use up to 256 colors. This is called an indexed color palette. It is not pre defined, but defined by the color you're using in your image. GIF's are reduced in size, by reducing the number of colors you're allowing the image to index. Over compressing GIFs produces dithered gradients and jaggies.

So the long and short of it; It depends on the image.

//btw: PNG. That's a long explanation because there are many variables. They typically don't have a file-size advantage.

The best ability of a PNG is variable transparency. That is, each pixel can be transparent/opaque to varying degrees where as GIF transparency can only turn the pixel on, or off.

If anyone tells you that it's illegal to use GIF's and you should PNG because of this, they are wrong.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts