FREEHAND 10: Open Quark EPS

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

When ever I get a logo sent to me at work in Quark EPS format I try to open it in freehand and it comes out all in low-res squares like its been rasterized.

The file opens fine in Photoshop.

Can anyone help me open this as proper vectors?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The low resolution image you are seeing is the embedded preview; a small bitmap picture.

Remember, EPS is more than just a graphics format. It contains a lot of insturctions which you may not associate with vector images. Try printing the image. If the hard copy is perfect, check Freehand settings for previews and placing images (sorry, I do not use Freehand).
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

illustrator but i find sending images to PS odd from Illus. Like sometimes you get a 1 px white border rd the image after you bring it into PS. How do you prevent this? That Editable format u talk off seems poor.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had problems importing EPS files from Illustrator into Photoshop, but they all went away after upgrading to 10, and 7.

The best thing is to learn as much as you can about PS, EPS, and PDF file formats...

http://www.rdpslides.com/psfaq/FAQ00019.htm

PS, EPS, AI, PDF … awww, what's the difference?
They're all variants of PostScript, right? So why can't Draw open them all equally well?

In fact, they're similar in some respects, but they're not the same. You can work with all of them in Draw, but if you want reliable, predictable results, it pays to learn the differences.

At one time, each of these formats had its own unique place in the PS hierarchy and each had its own set of rules and limitations. You couldn't import PS into Draw because PS was only meant for printers. You couldn't edit or import PDF because it was an "output-only" format. The demarcation lines were clear, so you had a pretty good idea what you could and couldn't do with a given file.
That was then, this is now, and now can be kind of confusing.

Now, Draw imports PDF in not just one but several different ways. The Interpreted PS filter brings PostScript into Draw as editable objects and can do the same for EPS. Or you can place the EPS instead, depending on what you need to do and what sort of printer you plan to do it on.
The once-clear lines that separated these file types and how you handled them have gotten blurred.
The file types have started to overlap.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that that's bad. We have more flexibility than ever before, and that's unquestionably A Good Thing. Unfortunately, attempts to import files still go awry once in a while, and when they do, it's harder to know whether it's a problem with the file, the import filter, or our expectations of the import.

What can you do about it? That's what we're here to talk about.
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

which one to use then? I imported a nice graphic before and the color went pap. another time when converting it to rgb it put a 1px white jaggy border around. :oops:
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

use eps and save it with options your version of photoshop can handle.
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive heard copying to clipboard? Also.
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey cheers rjm its good in EPS but the color seems to of drained slightly?
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm seems good if after it looks a bit drained you play with the levels in PS!
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

try embedding a colour profile. is your machine calibrated?
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, not sure what you mean there, but tweaking it in PS after brings the color back, odd but it works.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant beleive I am the only person on the Internet with this problem. FREEHAND CAN NOT OPEN 90% EPS FILES ON A PC! :evil:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=EPS+fi ... reehand+10

… this on 4 PC' and I am really am pulling my hair out! I can’t work out a workaround to this problem too as I need the file to editable vectors because they can be opened in Photoshop.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts