A "good subject" for b_heyer (Naja Naja Kaouthia)

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I'm going into a diff species and posting more pics, I'm going to start a new thread...

You're right b_heyer, reptiles are GREAT photography subjects - even if not always cooperative :)

And, I know I keep moaning about it, heh but I want my D100, lol. I just want the extra control I'll have over exposure, focus, lighting, etc. Then I'll start getting some REALLY good shots.

It's the snakes I REALLY want to photograph, especially the hots.

Here's one I took of a Monocled Cobra (Naja Naja Kaouthia) with the Mavica CD-250 - this was on the floor of my friend's snake room. This snake is about 6ft long.

With a D100, and my 70-210mm Macro lens, I would've been able to get really close on the head at the distance I was at from the snake (about 5ft), and get the background blurred to really make the head jump out on the photo.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are one lucky lucky guy....*sighs*

Don't tease me :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you ever get down to Florida, you're more than welcome to come visit and see the animals...

In fact, if you're contemplating a vacation, get down here mid-August for the National Reptile Breeders Expo at Daytona. It's the largest reptile show on the planet.

Absolutely GREAT group of people, gorgeous animals, and no lack of photo opportunities!
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like photography havent read anything on it tho...i have a finepix 6800zoom designed by porsche...dont know what beheyer thinks of em... take sharp pics tho fo sho... i just got a casio exilim the smallest one and the pics and feature on it are awesome fits in my pocket too or wallet, so i take more pics...

btw i love these reptile pics wouldnt go near that tho :( u should make a cd and sell it someone
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, Brandon, I guess I shouldn't show you these ones... But I will anyway ;)

Baby Black Pakistani Cobra - this snake is about 15" long in that photo - the photo isn't as good as it could be. It was slightly out of focus so had to do some messing to try n' sharpen the snake, but without making the background look REALLY bad.

This is a year-old King Cobra. He's about 4ft long here. Kings can reach up to about 15ft long. The world's largest venomous snake. Ignore the poop on the newspaper, he'd just expelled a huge dinner from the day before, and so today was cleaning day (otherwise, his cage's glass would be well and securely closed - meaning this photo wouldn't have happened at all).

And this one is a Banded Egyptian Cobra. Another young one, he's about 3ft long in this photo.

My friend Jeremy is obsessed with cobras, he absolutely loves them. He does have a few rattlers too (in fact, there's a few photos of me somewhere holding timber rattlers, urocan rattlers & venezuelan rattlers - if I can find 'em, I'll post 'em here).

He just actually got rid of almost his entire collection to get ready to move to a new house. Right now, all he has is a 9ft Burmese Python, an 8ft Argentine Boa, a 6ft Water Monitor, a 4ft Gator and a 9" baby Water Monitor.

By the time I finally get my D100, he'll have moved to a new place, gotten his snake room all decked out with brand new cages, and LOTS of snakes to fill them up.

Then I'll be there snapping thousands of piccies, heh.

AcRoNym, I hadn't read up much on photography either til about July or August last year, and much of it I haven't been able to put into practise yet, simply due to lack of decent camera gear.

Photography is GREAT fun, and so are reptiles (even if one bite will kill you in 15 minutes, heh), so mixing the two is just heaven for me :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man just a bit shorter f-stop and a telephoto/macro lense and that last one would be screeming desert instead of tank! :-D

Very nice snake shots!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, those were taken with just a Sony Mavica CD-250... it's kinda auto-everything, and usually not too good, heh.

But, I just got my new Nikon 28-80mm lens in the mail today, and will have the 70-300mm coming within the next couple of weeks. Then all I need is my D100 and I'm good to go! :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts