Graphics Tablets

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again...
another question from me :D

I have been wondering about graphics tablets for a while...
and i was wondering how effective they are.
i have never used one, they are not all that expensive, and i was wondering how they would help when making gfx...

and are they worth it?

pro's cons?

thanks a buch :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the whole reason to buying a tablet would be to get your natural hand movement, that circle motion you can't get without jagged lines with a mouse. If you want to digitally paint or draw, I'd say you definately want a tablet, otherwise dont bother spending the money.

I always need a big tablet, I've used about 4 different sizes and 2 different companies. Wacom is standalone the best. I have their Intuous 2 6x8 right now but I had a 9x12 tablet from Aiptek and I don't notice a difference between the two companies. You get a very good pressure from the pen, the lighter you hold it the smaller the tip, the harder the larger the tip gets. Let me just say that using the tablet with Photoshop or Painter is just perdiful.

With the tablet I digitally paint, sketch, draw, add touches, etc. It's very expensive tho, at least for my budget, so I wouldn't get it unless you'd really need it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, like starqueen says, it's mostly for more natural hand movement...

Whether they're worth it or not, is entirely up to the types of images you work with...

Wacom is definitely top notch, but if you want to give one a try out at a budget price, have a look at the Jam Studio from KBGear.

They're not super outstanding, but they'll give you the general idea, and at a price that won't break the bank.

I don't have a lot of need for something like this so I got the Jam Studio myself a year or so ago. And even at just 25 bucks shipped, it's cut a lot of time off some of my photo editing work (Just keep your fingers handy over ctrl+z, heh), so it's already more than paid for itself.

Once I start doing more photo work on the PC, I'll invest in something a little higher end and more accurate.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an aiptek 8x10 tablet, it's pretty good, I just need to figure out how to get it working in linux. Sadly the gaiptek page is down so I can't get the control feature in X. :'(
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh i had i sell my aiptek 9x12 tablet because they didnt have drivers for the g5 "pc". so, sadly it is gone... *sniff*
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
.....tablet with Photoshop or Painter is just perdiful.

could you define perdiful? is that good or bad.

That is pretty good that it is only 25 dollars, got to look into it. Is it good for things like crosshatching? or is that left best for paper?
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

crosshatching is made easy on the comp, easier with a mouse and a straightline tool if you ask me. and perdiful is good. southern influence there, sorry for being funny :P
  • peteboxshot
  • Loc: Blackburn, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a tablet and swear by it. Apart from the obvious advantages for digital artwork, it's just so much more ergonomic.

you can move the pointer by flexing either you hand, elbow, wrist or fingers, so you don't get rsi after 10 hours or so as you might with a mouse.

the other thing is it lets you use your inbuilt "muscle-memory", since a given icon is always in exactly the same place on the pad every time. You'd be surprised how this speeds things up after a while, and seems to free a whole chuck of brain power for more important things like abusing your workmates :)

go for the 12-10 wacom if you can.
  • .soulty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lost in Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive had a wacom graphire 2 for about 3 years now, and it works fine, its not the best in regards to pressure levels and macros buttons which the more expensive tablets have, but its just enough to make your life easier for airbrushing , cloning and other task in photoshop, i also use it to create some nice free flowing shapes in illustrator, its a great tool to have even if its the cheap one out of the wacom pack.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOOT! Heres my kinda question! I am personally in love with my tablet and wouldnt want my computer if it didnt have it. I have a fairly expensive pad sittin in my dads office, but I didnt want to get it ruined, so I bought a cheaper Graphire3 pack from Wacom. It works better than I expected and came with a pretty good software bundle too. I love being able to edit my drawing in photshop/Correl, but thats basically been my hobby/job for 16 years, so Im kinda in love...... ;). If you dont do a lot of drawing, then the pad is probably a waste of money, but I dont actually know all the uses......

:)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... c=101&sp=1

This is a link to the smaller Graphire bundle at Buy.com. Its the best place to buy it, trust me. If you feel like tryin it out, I would spend the 70 bucks and then if you dont like it, your not out too much money.
:) GL
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

why would you need such a big graphics tablet? deos it affect your document size or just the presicion fo your movement
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Precision, think if you are working on a 6x4 tablet on an 19" monitor, (whats that like 15x 17 or something), you loose a lot of precision, but if you increase the size the precision goes up!
  • .soulty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lost in Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah more precision and bigger work real estate. also there are usually more features with bigger tablets, like tilt pens, more pressure levels and macros buttons.

They are more professional pads, where that little more precision is needed.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly. Then you are talking about the 300-400 dollar pads. I think that their woth it, but its deffinitly not the tablet to buy when you are first trying them out.
:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts