Help choosing a good digital camera

• ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'M A BEGGINER AND WANT TO BUY A NEW DIG.CAMERA. WHAT COULD BE MY GOOD SOLUTION:
1. BIG OPTIC.ZOOM WITH AVERAGE MPX LIKE OLYMPUS C770, or
2. ENOUGH MPX WITH SOLID OPTIC.ZOOM LIKE KODAK DX6490 OR FUJIFILM E55, or
3. good mpx with same optic. zoom like fujjifilm s7000
4. average pmx with very big zoom like canon powershot s2 is

maybe you could suggest.

I would like to shot nice nature or interesting peoples
thank for your help in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's your budget?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

my mom has powershot s90.. pretty nice!
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Helped me choose my camera
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying different bodies & lenses mysql at the local Ritz/Wolf camera stores helped me choose mine :)
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're beginner to intermediate with digital cameras, I would recommend against the Olympus C7XX line. They are Consumer level cameras, but behave like professional cameras. They are finicky about settings, and if you don't have everything set just right, your pics will come out really bad. Took me 6 months to get familiar with my C720 and I still fight with it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
They are Consumer level cameras, but behave like professional cameras.

I'm curious what you base that statement on given that no professional would use a point-n-shoot for their work :)

I'm looking at the Olympus C-770 review on steve's digicams, and it's really not that impressive.

For the same money, if you're looking for a point-n-shoot, spend it with Nikon or Canon.
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

THANKS FOR REPLY.

I'M GOOD WITH COMPUTER PHOTOGRAPHY EDITING SO I NEED SUITABLE CAMERA. I HAVE REALLY OLD mERCURY CAMERA.
SO BETWEEN SUGGESTED WHAT IS YOUR OPINION.
WILL THE PICTURE BE BETTER WITH LESS MPIX OR WITH LESS ZOOM.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM MPIX NEEDED FOR PICTURE TO BE GOOD ENOUGH.
1. BIG OPTIC.ZOOM WITH AVERAGE MPX LIKE OLYMPUS C770, or
2. ENOUGH MPX WITH SOLID OPTIC.ZOOM LIKE KODAK DX6490 OR FUJIFILM E55, or
3. good mpx with same optic. zoom like fujjifilm s7000
4. avarage pmx with very big zoom like canon powershot s2 is
my bidget is about 450eur
THANKS
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Megapixels and (optical) Zoom are not all created equally.

For example, when you get into the higher end stuff, the Nikon D2h (4.1MP) produces a much better quality image than the Nikon D100 (6.1MP) - and that has nothing to do with zoom or lens quality. The D2h is just a much better quality camera (but that's why cost $3499 until very recently).

If I were you, like I said, take your money and spend it with Nikon or Canon. If you can afford it, get an entry level Digital SLR, like a Nikon D70. If not, just get the best Nikon or Canon point-n-shoot you can afford - some of the Fuji cameras aren't too bad, but their DSLRs are kinda sluggish & slow.

Like I said, the number of MP or the amount of optical zoom isn't as important as the quality of the sensor and the lens. Best thing to do is to check the sample photos at http://www.steves-digicams.com on the different models, and also try to get down to your local camera store and just play around with them. Take a CompactFlash with you or something so that you can look at the images full size on your screen at home and do some good comparisons.
  • Shigeru
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd go for a sony cybershot if I was you. They have awesome quality and the higher end ones have plenty of megapixels.
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

WHAT ABOUT THOSE MODELS. ANYTHING SHOULD I KNOW

1. fuji s7000

2. canon s2 is

3. kodak z740

4. nikon 5700

5. olympus c-770
  • Shigeru
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not familiar with these models. Best thing I can suggest is read around lots of reviews on the web. Walk into a electronics shop and have a play around with these models and ask the sales guy questions. That way you will get a feel for the camera and armed with your knowledge from the web you can ask the right questions.

You could always go back onto the web and do further research or order online.

I've done a quick google and read up on the specs for those camera's and for me I'd buy the fuji s7000 as it offers the most megapixels and is better all round. It also takes normal AA batteries meaning you can buy them when on holiday rather than looking for a place to charge it. It also supports RAW format which is a very kewl advance feature for the new guy.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Digital Canon Rebel with two slr lens and love the great work that if gives me. In my option I like the ease that it has and the complex settings that if give you for the more advance person. if you IM me I will send you a few of the high quality shots that I have taken with it.

mtg
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

FINALY AFTER EVALUATION OF THE SAMPLE PICTURES ON STEVES-DIGICAM SITE WITH MUCH SURPRICE I HAVE FOUNDED THAT THE BEST QUALITY PICTURE WAS MADE BY:
1 OLYMPUS C-70,
then with almost BUT ALMOST same guality is
2 CANON S2 IS, after what is
3 NIKON 7900

then a slight space and
4 FUJI S7000
5 OLYMPUS C-770
NOW I'M ASKING WHICH ONE TO BUY.
OFCOURSE I LOOKED ONLY FOR CAMERAS UP TO 500 EUR.

... HAVE YOU GOT ANY SUGGESTION NOW.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, looking at your top 3... I'd forget the Olympus and go for either the Canon or Nikon.

Olympus made GREAT 35mm SLR cameras (my dad used an OM-1 for over 30 years), but I've owned about half a dozen of their digitals, and used another dozen different models at the office of one of my clients, and I've never been impressed by any of them.

I'm guessing the "IS" in the Canon S2 IS is Image Stabilization, but I could be wrong.

Like I said, if it were my choice, forget the Olympus, and get either the Nikon or the Canon. Just hit the local BestBuy or Ritz Camera or whatever you have where you are, play around with those two models if they're in the store, and see which you like the feel of best. Then go with that one :)
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
ScienceOfSpock wrote:

I'm curious what you base that statement on given that no professional would use a point-n-shoot for their work :)

I'm looking at the Olympus C-770 review on steve's digicams, and it's really not that impressive.

For the same money, if you're looking for a point-n-shoot, spend it with Nikon or Canon.

Sorry, haven't been watching this thread. What I mean is that the camera's in the C7XX line are meant for regular users, not professionals, BUT, if you are not a professional, good luck getting decent pictures out of them. Even though they are technically point-and-shoot cameras, in reality, they are anything BUT that.
I agree, don't waste your money on the Olympus.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend has a kodak digital cam that would be in your price range and it take really nice pics and nice macros as well. like I have said I own a canon and my dad has owned a canon f1 for over 20 years and he too great 35 mm pics all the time. i love my digital b/c he can use it like his old canon and it is easy for mom to pick up and use and take nice pictures too. mine is the first canon rebel.

mtg

I have posted a few of my first day and first week shots in another thread if you wish to see.
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK TAKEN, OLYMPUS OUT, BUT ONE FINAL QUESTION:

WHAT WILL I LOSE IF I CHOOSE NIKON 7900 WITH ONLY 3XOPTIC/ZOOM BUT 7.1MPX
OR
WHAT WILL I HAVE WITH CANON S2IS AND ITS 12X OPTIC/ZOOM BUT ONLY 5MPX

WAIT FOR YOUR CERIOUS REPLY............THANKS
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
ScienceOfSpock wrote:

who says that professionals do not use point-n-shoot. my mom is a real estate broker. she uses a point-n-shoot and she is uses it for professional use. :)

or are you referring to professional photographers?

a few questions myself.

which is better:

Canon s60
Canon a95

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Professional PHOTOGRAPHERS don't use point-n-shoot, that's what I meant. :)

Your mother isn't a professional photographer. She's a real estate broker.

Which is better out of those two, I don't know, I don't use point-n-shoot digital cameras :)
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

my father has one of the original kind of cameras from when he was in college. it is pretty nice, but he will not let me use it. it is too expensive.
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

[color=yellow]

Please, I'm talknig about important things. I'm preparing to spend my saved money for good camera.

Any reply for Canon s2is vs Nikon 7900 as written above.

What about batteries for Canon. Are they usefull for 100 picture without charging. :?: [/color]
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does Canon s2is and Nikon 7900 has a panorama mode for multipicture shooting. :P
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

WHAT IS THE REAL PRICE TO BUY
Nikon Coolpix 8700
BECAUSE I FIND A BIG DIFFERANCE IN PRICES

FROM $475 UP TO $800.

THANKS
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm about to buy a new digital camera but since i did not received any reply for above mentined questions i need to know something very urgently...........
U R G E N T L Y:

1. does Canon S2is and Nikon 7900 has a Panorama mode
2. is it possible that on Nikon 7900 after buying (later) add or implement a additional or new lens for bigger zoom since Nikon 7900 has only 3x

urgent reply, very urgent....................

thank
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Turn your caps lock off. You post in all caps again, I'll just delete your post.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go with the canon not only do I use a canon but the stats on it look better. Panaroma shots are done the old fashion way and then adobe puts them together. you need to take them on a tripod tho.

mtg
  • xpspider
  • Born
  • Born
  • xpspider
  • Loc: Tampa, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi here are some links to help out

http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.onlinereviewguide.com/cameras.shtml
http://reviews.cnet.com
http://www.dcresource.com/

Good luck / please pay attention to nightshots, indoor shots,
low light shots and see how good white comes up in the pictures.

Peace

XPSpider / http://tampaselect.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts