Help - trying to make an accurate outline of an image

• kilo_4que
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kilo_4que

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys i was wanting to know how you can outline an image neatly if the original image is not of very high quality

what i have is a picture of a snake. I was wanting to use the outline of the snake for a logo i was playing around with but i just cannot get it clear enough

the three methods i have used are using the magic wand tool, but problem is magic wand does not pick the outline up smooth enough

the second method i used was attempting to delete unnecessary background but again same problem as above

finally i attempted to use the pen tool but the problem now is that some of the curvey bends are not consistent due to points on the path

i know it was all a bit of a mouth full but if it is possible can someone give me some tips on what i need to do

cheers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use the pen tool to drag out bezier curves (see Photoshops help menu). Make the resultant path the selection, inverse selection and delete.
  • kilo_4que
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kilo_4que

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impel GD wrote:
Use the pen tool to drag out bezier curves (see Photoshops help menu). Make the resultant path the selection, inverse selection and delete.

hi impel thanks for the reply matey, ive actually used that method also but the problem is that when i use the pen tool there is no consistency if you know what i mean

like when you make curve, you place the marker and keep the left mouse button clicked and drag accordingly until you get the desired curve however when you place your next pointer you cant 100% find out if there is a consistant flow

let me know if im not making sense as its hard to explain
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are making sense - you just need practice. Use as few nodes as possible.

Also use the alt button clicking/dragging to affect the behaviour.
  • kilo_4que
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kilo_4que

Post 3+ Months Ago

aah right so basically that is the only way to do it, just requires more practice?

regarding nodes, i do use as less as possible, the only difficulty i get into is when there are inconsistancies i cant adjust them without making it worse lol
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might not be the only way, but it's a useful method to learn. If you want to post your image up for us to take a look, do so.
  • kilo_4que
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kilo_4que

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi impel, im going to post an example tomorrow matey
  • ThomasB
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ThomasB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the pen tool in illustrator easier to us then the photoshop one, or the same? I use Illustrator.
  • kilo_4que
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kilo_4que

Post 3+ Months Ago

i find the one in Photoshop easierfor some reason as it gives a more consistant flow between nodes

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts