How about some Geckos?

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Geekette, here's something you could get... much cheaper to care for than a beardy, doesn't require anywhere near as much room either, and VERY easy to care for...

This is Huff, one of the leopard geckos I used to have. He now lives in Canada

This is a baby albino leopard gecko gettin' ready for a snooze.

And this is a Viper Gecko. These guys only get to be about 4" long as adults (for females. Males max out around 3").
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great shots, John. I enjoy photos like that.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's beginning to feel like a zoo in here...or at least a room of reptiles *looks thoughtfully*

I especially like the First and second shots, great ones :-)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome pictures! :D

Lol, they are very cool, but they still wouldn't help with the mother dilemma. She hates anything that "crawls or slithers" and won't allow it in her house! I think that my dad would be all for it, though...hmm...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'm putting a reptile show database up on my site soon, with distances to the shows from your own zip code.

I'm gonna start it off with all the Florida shows, so I'll let you know when it's up.

If your dad's up for it, maybe he can convince your mother to tag along, she might find something she likes :)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today I mentioned to my mother that I would like to get a bearded dragon. Apparently there is one at the school she teaches at that is the size of a small dog so she kinda started freaking out. I tried to assure her that it wouldn't reach the size of a small dog until after I'd left the house, but that still didn't help. :-p

Hehe, I still might try out the gecko thing. I remember that my dad stopped and looked at the leopard geckos the last time that we were at a pet shop, so that may be a good sign! :D I'm sure that my brother would like it too, as long as he didn't have to partake in the care of it, of course. :roll: I'd love to know when you get that database up, it'd be very nice. Thanks! :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, I plan to start working on it this weekend, so I should hopefully have a basic something up by Friday (fingers crossed, heh)

I'll PM you the URL when it's up :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I REALLY like #3! great texture, nice contrast between the gecko and the rock. Nicely done.

The others are nice too, but that one is the best of this batch. :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Unflux. Yeah, the viper geckos make GREAT photography subjects if you've got a good macro lens that'll pick up detail. The pattern of the scales is barely noticable by the naked eye, and it feels just like velvet, you can only really see it on a good close-up photo (or under real super-bright lights and everything perfectly still 6" from your eye, heh).

This is my favourite photo of the girl in that third photo. Their eyes are just AMAZING. In person, they look like liquid gold.

I just wish I still had some of these to get more photos. I might get another pair or a trio when I get the D100 though.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow THAT one is even better! :shock: VERY NICE!

happen to have a full size version available??
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:

This is my favourite photo of the girl in that third photo. Their eyes are just AMAZING. In person, they look like liquid gold.

Absolutely outstanding! No wonder it's your favorite. I'd be proud of that one too.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unflux: I had to crop it a little bit to get it at the right location in the frame. The original image is only 1024x768 (Taken on a Sony Mavica FD-83), so it's not too big to begin with, but you're more than welcome to throw it on your wallpaper :)

http://www.reptilerooms.com/stuff/vipergecko-002-1024.jpg

Thanks ATNO, yeah, I'm just obsessed with eyes - especially those of reptiles...

I'll start a new thread with some of my eye shots, this one's getting a bit bandwidth-heavy ;)

hehe
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is one of my favorite photos now, thanks so much for the
large one. I collect other people's pics over the years, and this
one is a very nice entry into the album. :thumbsup:

*click-set as background* ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the compliments Unflux... I know I keep moaning about that D100... but you just wait!!! :)

Got another new Nikon lens in the mail today... so I'm buildin' up my stocks, heh.

I got a lot to save up, but I'm getting there. I'm going to start off with a fairly modest setup...

$1500 Nikon D100
$100 Nikon 70-300 AF G lens
$190 Kenko Pro 300 2x Teleconverter
$300 2x Nikon SB-50DX flashes
$250 Lexar 1GB CompactFlash
and about another 500 bucks for various other filters n' bits.

I think that's about it for now, heh.

The camera is the first job. By the time I've saved up enough for that, it will have dropped in price, as will the other bits I need. Even if I get the flashes & lenses first, I can use them now on my Nikon N90s, but nowhere near as much as I will on the D100. The N90s is a 35mm SLR camera. Absolutely over-the-top with all its buttons n' doohickies, but film just costs too much to develop these days. So, I'm gonna do all my practising with the D100, then once I've got my techniques down, start doing some serious stuff with the N90s.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, I only tell it how I see it. gets me in trouble sometimes,
but I'd rather be known for telling the truth.

getting a new camera is so much fun. good luck with your plan. :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get, lol.

Hopefully, I should have enough spare within the next 3-6 months to get the body, without having to get a loan, heh.

I've got money coming into my PayPal account on n' off for lil things I do online; Installing, creating & modifying existing scripts, web hosting, the occasional PostNuke theme, that kinda thing, plus a couple of companies actually paid for banner advertising on the site, heh. It all adds up. :)

Oh yes, it is definitely a lot of fun. I can't wait. A friend of mine just got his D100 on Thursday. He was originally going to get a Sigma DSLR, but I convinced him to get the D100 instead... It cost him 500 bucks more, but he's SO glad he didn't go with the Sigma in the end. :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice...can't wait to see some shots from you.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

here you go...just some proof for you. I'm seriously in love with it --
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra34300.html#34300
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago