How to reduce PSD file size

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting tip - place a white layer over the top of your PSD. The resulting smaller sizes after saving, especially when followed by zipping, are impressive - sometimes showing an 85% reduction. If browsers begin supporting a way to archive images and pull them at once, this could be an interesting way to increase speed and maximize your hosting space!

http://idletogether.com/how-to-reduce-your-psd-files-size-using-photoshop/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This obviously assumes the person you might email it to has photoshop to hide the white layer.

An alternative is to delete all unused layer and merge the remaining ones. Of course that won't be very editable by the receiving party. I suppose that depends on the purpose.

You can also compress the file size a bit further by saving it as a photoshop pdf (merged layers of course)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely a cool trick if you happen to be in a pinch where you need to shave some bytes, I wouldn't start doing this to all of my PSD files to save space though.

It's kinda like cutting the bathroom and laundry room off your house to save on the water bill.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interestingly enough that seems to have zero effect on CS4 files.

I think an easier solution would be to simply disable the preview data. File -> Preferences -> File Handling -> change "always save" to "never save". Also change "Maximize PSD and PSB compatibility" to never or ask.

Those two steps will do pretty much everything that a white layer would accomplish, especially since the white layer trick would probably make a big difference in a small PSD's (< 5mb) but likely doesn't do much in a ~250mb file with lots of layer styles, pixel data, etc.

And honestly I can't think of the last time I had to send a PSD to someone else where size was really an issue. If the issue is local storage space you can always get an 500GB external USB HD from around $60...
  • kingjeremy02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep you psd file streamlined by eliminating unnecessary layers - or combining layers in which elements are still easily editable.
  • extomas
  • Loc: Lithuania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for advice graphixboy, because I already though that white layer was my solution :)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

extomas wrote:
Thanks for advice graphixboy, because I already though that white layer was my solution :)
Your welcome.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even better: ZIP the PSD. Unsurprisingly, compression, um, compresses. In the case of PSD files that aren't merely layers of bitmap data (IE you're intelligent enough to use adjustment layers and maybe even the pen tool), I've seen roughly 80% trimmed via simple zipping.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well hello Truce. Where ya been?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts