Illustrator CS2 help please!

• BLB
  • Born
  • Born
  • BLB
  • Loc: oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am laying out a sign at full size 4' X 8'. The effercts do not function right at full size but perfect at a smaller size. This is for a digital print and I was told I need full size artwork at 300dpi. I cleared all files off my desk top which should leave close to 1 GB.

Any help?

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Guy who knows things
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Guy who knows things
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's just taking a long time to render the effects at that size. If not, I usually find it helps to shut down and then re-open the program when crazy things start happening...

(Not exactly the most brilliant, profound advice, I know, but just try it, lol....)
  • BLB
  • Born
  • Born
  • BLB
  • Loc: oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I have restarted several times and no change.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

What 'effects' in particular are you using?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

4' x 8' at 300 dpi is going to kill your computer. I doubt 1GB (assuming you meant RAM) is even enough.

I don't get it. If you make it all vectors, just make it a manageable scaled size at 300 dpi and let the printer scale it up to the size they need. That's the key benefit of AI. Vector art is scalable without resolution loss.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done printed work larger sizes than that using 300dpi artwork in Illustrator, granted you do need a decent computer but it's not impossible.

I wonder what 'effects' they are trying to use which would only look good on a smaller size and why they would use it when they need to produce a larger size piece of work... ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK now I'm curious. I'll give a go at a 4 foot by 8 foot document tonight when I can close everything else down. I've got 4GB RAM so I'm curious to see if I can crash this puppy.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao@u up for the challenge. Thats 1.2 x 2.4 metres in Aus measurements.

i'll have a look later and see if i can dig out a pic of the sign that was made.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK doubly curious. I obviously didn't crash anything, but opening a new doc at 4'x8' was no prob, but I couldn't even make a font large enough to make it look like a banner. Largest I could do was 1296 pt and it didn't even take up 10% of the banner.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'd probably need to create an outline of the font to get it that big.

Glad to hear you didn't crash your computer! With vector artwork you could do it smaller, but with large images at 300dpi it does make your puter work hard but is do-able :D

I just found in my folio the pics of the display but my scanner isn't set up on this computer. It was huge, I remember now that the background was a 300dpi image as was all the product photos and other images. MAN that was one big nasty file to work with haha. Can't remember what spec's the puter was back then.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts