Illustrator cutting issue

• Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody! ...

I'm having quite a bit of a problem doing some cutting on illustrator...
Here's what I want to do...

I want to keep the picture image only inside my letters...like this:

I've tried different ways to do so. I realise it is more difficult than it looks because, on illustrator you can't just "flaten your layers" like Photoshop does and cut right on it...or even select your letters and make the inside transparent on the picture because the whole background picture will still be there
I've played around with the sizor tool, but it's asking me to start at an anchor point...undortunately, I don't even know what that mean.

So my question is, is there a quick way to do that? Or I can only do that on Photoshop?
Thanks a bunch!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Frankish.

Illustrator is more than capapble of this. See:

http://www.ninisworld.com/thecorner/tut ... intxt.html

For more complex transparency masks, you might need to look at 'Opacity Masks' - see Illustrator's help system (or try Google).
  • Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impel GD wrote:
Hi Frankish.

Illustrator is more than capapble of this. See:

http://www.ninisworld.com/thecorner/tut ... intxt.html

For more complex transparency masks, you might need to look at 'Opacity Masks' - see Illustrator's help system (or try Google).

Thanks! But is there anyway to make more than one letter at the time? Everytime I try a sentence or a word, it doesn't work......If I do one letter then it works...
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have separate text items, try converting them to outlines and merging them using the Pathfinder palette first.
  • Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impel GD wrote:
If you have separate text items, try converting them to outlines and merging them using the Pathfinder palette first.

Sorry I'm confused....what do you mean by "separate text items" and converting them to outlines? How do I convert my text? For example on that first sprint screen shot I did with the word "design" ...from there what should I do?

This is ridiculous on the behalf of Illustrator...they make it more complicated than it is really.
See I want to use that "design" word for my website...and even if it's doing one letter at the time on illustrator, (the whole background picture supposebly gone), stays behind transparent...meaning if I got a 2 inch letter and my picture is 15 inches, when I save it as a .gif I got with me the 15 inch long white transparent image for my 2 inch letter!
  • joolszee2005
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • joolszee2005
  • Loc: UK by the sea side

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have the picture, sent to the front, then put the text 'as outline' over the top of the image, then send the text to the back. Then select both elements, then 'make clipping mask' this should work?

It might be the other way round picture to the back, text at the top.
I don't have illustrator in front of me right now, but it was something like this when I did something simular to your project?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts