Linux 3d software

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

can anyone recommend any good free linux 3d software? I have been to a lot of sites that seem to have some really good apps. But I was wondering if anyone here could recommend any before I start downloading, like 10 of them
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get blender. Now it is even open source. But really, does not come close to any real 3d software like maya, lightwave, or vue.

Here is blender:
http://www.blender3d.org/

Here is an article about blender.
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid ... 19/1837246

If you must not have to use linux and want a free but extremely good landscape generator try Terragen from Planetside(incase you already did'nt know).
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I like terragen.....Yeah I was looking at blender. Looks pretty good. I think on my budget maya would be impossible to afford anyway. Plus I am just starting out on 3d, and I don't need a million features like 3ds max.

thanks qc
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think on my budget maya would be impossible to afford anyway.

I know what you mean. You need a full version to render professional works for clients.

//They are invisible now, thanks. b_heyer

Plus I am just starting out on 3d, and I don't need a million features like 3ds max.

hmm...you may be right. My opinion is that with a 3d software, the most important thing is to be really really familiar with the interface. It helps if you start with one good one and stick with it for a long time. Anyway, after you use Blender let me know your opinion on it. I hv'nt tried it myself either.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no comment on your invisible statement...lol.

There was a day when I got my software from there, but I kept thinking about it, and I got paranoid about it. Then I looked at it from an ethical standpoint, and I came to the conclusion that it is not right.

I know if I spent years on developing a software and It was being distributed illegally, I would be highly pissed.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a day when I got my software from there, but I kept thinking about it, and I got paranoid about it. Then I looked at it from an ethical standpoint, and I came to the conclusion that it is not right.....

Nice Vladdrac. I totally agree with you. That is why I do not use them anymore either.

But I can't help ponder another thing though. Could it be that a van gauge is never been discovered for the want of a free version of Maya? :) At least those networks give anyone a chance to taste the power of a beautiful 3d software. Agreed, the dark sides overshadows the bright one. And bad people abuse the opportunities even when it is unnecessary. But it is also a way to look at it. My personal opinion is that - Never let your sense of ethics stop you from doing what is right. :) Who said that? ah I guess someone from Foundation. If you do not think it is not right to do, then you must not do it. But for some people it may not be wrong either to utilize the opportunity.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well van gough never stole a brush or a canvas. If you love it, and now you love it....there is a lot of software to get your foot in the door, that is free.

there seems to be a problem with me installing blender on linux. I am going to try it for windows.

I think the problem is that I need PYTHON
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

van gough never stole a brush or a canvas
Consider if you ever had Gough if the brush and canvas had cost him about $4000!

there is a lot of software to get your foot in the door, that is free.
hmm...good thinking. I won't argue your point. Since, I am really not trying to seduce you into using gnutella. I was just thinking aloud.

...I think the problem is that I need PYTHON
Why would you need python? Did it wotk anyway?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the windows installer worked, but I cant seem to 'make install' under the source code in linux, because they did away with the configure file after 2.3.2

so I need python and some other app......

I tried to install from the i386 file, but i can't even get that to run....

I will try the static version, cause I think it may be an OpenGL problem....

But I did get it running in windows, I just am trying to do away with windows completely.......It looks pretty good though. But the interface is a lot different from some of the 3d software that I have seen. It will take some getting used to. I will check out some tutorials for it later, but I am very busy lately.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vlad, don't use the source, use the binary download.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

the thing is, the binary isn't working for me either. I mean I downloaded this the blender tar.gz....and I got the binary. But I can't do anything with it.

I mean what am I doing wrong? There is no makefile or anything, just that one binary program.

Sorry for being such a noob on this, but I am now officially lost.

I am going to try to compile from the older release now
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I installed the 2.32 version from the source......so it is up and running.

I just wish that I knew what I wasn't or was doing wrong with the binary, and why I couldn't get it to run.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wish that I knew what I wasn't or was doing wrong with the binary, and why I couldn't get it to run....

Nice that it is working. Post some pics after you produce something. I have no clue as to why it would'nt run in the first place!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here is something that I have made on the fly, so no real thought went into it. I will post something that is more worthwhile later. Actually I am not even sure why I am posting this crap. I guess I just wanted to demonstrate real quick, but hell you can go to a blender website and do that.

I guess the reason for the post is that I just wanted to say that this is definately a great app for a 3d noob like me. The controls are real easy to get used to. I think in a lot of way it is more powerful than some of the softwares I have tried. The view scheme is awesome. I can change perspectives with ease. Place lights easily. Move the camera very easily. The textures are easy to input. Altough there aren't as many things you can manipulate in blender. Well at least I don't think, yet. But I definately got a lot to learn. Especially with modelling, I don't have a clue with that. Importing images for the texture is really easy to do, and that alone gave me some real nice ideas.

here is the image

From the images that I have seen people make, this can be some pretty powerful software...I would definately recommend it.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice first try. Expecting great works from you asap.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here is something I spent a little more time on

It is 780k, so be patient for it too load

http://www.vladdracworld.com/web_images/nebulae.jpg
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm.... :scratchhead: now that looks more like a spider than a nebula...jk.

Blender has potential. Tell me something...can it create natural scenes also, besides abstracts? What is blender's main approach to modeling, boolan?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah but there would be a lot of modeling to do that. I haven't quite got my textures down though. I still need to learn how to make effective transparencies, as well as reflections. The controls are going to take a lot of figuring out. I should start looking at some tutorials.

Yeah, I would say boolean.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
the thing is, the binary isn't working for me either. I mean I downloaded this the blender tar.gz....and I got the binary. But I can't do anything with it.

I mean what am I doing wrong? There is no makefile or anything, just that one binary program.

Sorry for being such a noob on this, but I am now officially lost.

I am going to try to compile from the older release now

./binaryfile ;)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks I will have to remember that. I am still a linux newbie.....lolololololol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts