Logo Design

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a process question. I have been designing logos for a while and I can get a good running rough, but I have a lot of trouble refining my rough into a well polished logo. My clients seem happy with the logos but I am only ok with them.

I only use illustrator to design logos, so sizing is never a problem.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Link
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Care to post some examples?

Are you unhappy with the technical reproduction or the visual attributes of your end logos?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I know the limits of my abilities in illustrator and I am constantly trying to push them further, but I feel like a logo can go further a lot of the time but I am not sure how to get it there.

Here are two that I like but I think could go further.
http://www.push-here.com/externals/logo.gif
http://www.push-here.com/externals/410c.pdf

Here is one that I think can go further.
http://www.push-here.com/externals/logofin.pdf

This is one of the few that I think is where I want it to be. Finished
http://www.push-here.com/externals/sb.pdf

Hope these help.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your Studio B Photography logo - very nice. :)

One thing I'll mention is simplicity. Don't feel you have to add to a logo to take it further. The simpler a logo can be whilst still being unique and recognisable, the better.

For instance, with the Studio B design - have you tried a version without the busy background? Although it looks great on-screen, in it's current state it won't photocopy well.

Suggestion for the Whistle & Drum - try placing the graphic above the type, centred with a little white space to let it breathe, making it the focus of the composition.

The Journey and 410 logos don't quite work as they stand. There are three strong shapes in the Journey logo (the continent, the J and the circle) - maybe try to reduce/simplify it (remove circle?).

They're just my suggestions - hope I don't sound like a know-it-all. I certainly don't know it all and hope to improve my own logo designs.

Here are 10 criteria that 'How to design Logos, Symbols and Icons' lists as considerations in creation:

Visibility
Application
Distinctiveness
Simplicity/Universality
Retention
Colour
Descriptiveness
Timelessness
Modularity
Equity

Obviously the book expands on these points, but hopefully you'll find thinking about them useful.

Designers Talk is probably a good place to discuss this kind of thing as well (if you can deal with your work ruthlessly being ripped to shreds).
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh yes, an artist is his own worst critic. Your logos are good, leave them alone or you will mess them up. :)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impel GD wrote:
They're just my suggestions - hope I don't sound like a know-it-all. I certainly don't know it all and hope to improve my own logo designs.

Not at all. Thanks for the input. As far as the Studio B and its use concerns, Its my wifes company and I am pretty specific on how its used (she cant photocopy it) lol. Thanks for the feed back for some reason the longer I look at something the more complicated it tends to become.

Thanks for the comment OriginNO_II I'll keep that in mind, but I think there is a level of quality that I want my work to reach that unfortunately takes time to reach. An asset that most of my clients don't have nor allow me to take a lot of.

Ah well so it goes.
  • jumsy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jumsy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked at the Irish Whistle and Drum one and it looks fine.

If you want to try something different, add an intricate pattern made of a repeating pattern inside the lines.

Maybe it will look good, maybe it isn't your style. Experiment with little things like a shadow in the background.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts