Logo for festival/Expo

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am working on a logo to represent a festival put on by the city council. As yet, they have had no consistency in their previous design except for a pinwheel. Even the pinwheel has been different each year. Now that they're in their 4th year of doing the festival, they figure they need some branding for it. I've designed a couple variations of a concept and was wondering what you guys think.

The only restriction I have is that it needs to resemble a pinwheel.
Here's the thing, it's a "Childrens Festival" AND a "Business Expo". They want the logo to portray the joy and playfulness of children, while also communicating the professional feel of a business expo (oy vay, two opposite sides of the spectrum...gotta love clients!)

Anyway, here's what I have so far for a first draft, was hoping to get some feedback from y'all.
Attachments:
pinwheel.png
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was immediately confused by the text. I wasn't sure which words went together until I took a moment to figure out which combinations made sense.

Which aspect of it do they tend to push more in the marketing campaigns ? I would make that aspect more prominent.

Does the thing have a name, or is it just known as "the" childrens festival and business expo ? :scratchhead:
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was worried about the text as well, I'll rework the placement.
(distribution of advertising will be through hand-outs to the children at the schools to take to their parents. A large banner across a main road, and a few posters throughout the city.)
Both events need equal weight in the design.
And yeah, that's literally the name.

*Edit: Here's a little bit of a different placement:
Attachments:
pinwheel.png

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your revised version much better. Much easier to read and it looks like the text fits nicely into the void part of the pinwheel the way you did it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Offset and font-size difference work nicely for letting me know which words go together immediately.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome. What doy you guys think about the color pallet and the graphic? There are two versions displayed, one which overlaps in the center and one that "touches" at the center. Either strike you as "better"?
*Edit: HA!, good thing I posted it here and stepped away for a second, just realized I have "business" in all caps and "children" isn't...must've gotten to tunnel visioned during the design.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the revise also.

However, you need an apostrophe. It should be Children's

Suggestions:
Keep the colored dots after Expo. I liked them in the first series and think they work well.

Possibly randomly color "Children's" similar to how Google does with their logo using the same colors you have in the pinwheel. (Just to see what it looks like)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if you are still after some critique or not. The only thing i noticed that i wasn't overly keen on in both versions is the fact you have the words "Childrens" and "Business" in bold and the words "Festival" and "Expo" as standard. When i read it first i was inclined to read it as "Childrens Business Festival Expo" which sounds silly because it is obviously incorrect. It was what naturally felt right to me.

Even with placing the image inbetween "Childrens Festival" and "Business Expo" it doesn't work for me. Perhaps making them the same style throughout or seperating "Childrens Festival" or "Business Expo" in bold might work. At the moment i am just not "feeling it" if you know what i mean.

Apart from that minor criticism, i actually like what you have done. The logo reminds me of one of those wheels where the wind blows into the gaps and blows the thing round and round, to me that suggests that it is playful and ties in quite well with the "Childrens Festival" theme nicely. It's also appears quite professional looking and seems like any kinda logo you would have for a business which again ties well with the "Business Expo" text.

Good work.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The logo reminds me of one of those wheels where the wind blows into the gaps and blows the thing round and round

A pinwheel? That's what I was going for :)

I did make a couple adjustments to the text. Nothing major, but I used a hybrid of helvetica and futura for the lighter text. Here's what I finalized with the design team on monday:
Attachments:
pinwheel.jpg

Thanks a ton everyone for the ideas and help, any further critique would still be appreciated.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
Quote:
The logo reminds me of one of those wheels where the wind blows into the gaps and blows the thing round and round

A pinwheel? That's what I was going for :)

Glad to hear you succeeded then.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts