Logo Help Please

• CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Chicago, IL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have attached a png file of a logo I am working on in Illustrator CS3. But my creative flow has stopped flowing. I like the shape and design, but it needs flavor, it needs pop. It needs to represent a Graphic designer who does graphics and web. If you notice, it's my ozzu name with a techno-like X.

Questions:

1. Should I add color, where?
2. Should I go 3D, what would be the approach?
3. Should I add another image, like what?
4. Leave it like it is?

Help if you can.

Thank you,
cgfX
Attachments:
cgfx_logo.png

I need some ideas or tutorial on how to make this flat black image pop.

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rufusdraws
  • Born
  • Born
  • rufusdraws

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey.

Its just my 2 cents, but make the G fire engine red, skip the 3D, and donot add another image. Maybe make the "X" symbol on the right a hot orange... but it will have to be kind of a dark orange otherwise you'll lose contrast on a white background.

Keep logos simple... if the designer really does well, the logo needs to look in hundreds of different situations... when its 3 feet high on a banner that someone is looking at from 100 feet away, and when its made into a one inch wide rubber stamp. Simpler is better.

Its nice as it is. If you were to play around with it more, it might be interesting to have the negative space do more. Something akin to a typographer's version of that old optical illusion with the face that is also the side of a vase.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my oppinion, if I hadn't been looking at CGFX since 2003, I wouldn't know your new logo design was supposed to be CGFX. I can see what you are going after, but I think somebody seeing it for the first time wouldn't get it.
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

@rufusdraws Thank you, I actually watch a few videos with the keep it simple theroy, and I am going to do that, with a wee bit of color and font play, Helvetica is what I'm thinking.

@ATNO/TW Thank you for keeeping it real as always since 2003. I plan to add the company name below, in Helvetica bold and thin. Now you understand my Helvetica post. I might try it on a few friends which as you may know is not always the best idea. Because some be to nice and some like to crack jokes. I need professionals in the field to keep it real, thank for that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well in putting your company name under it, the design would make much more sense, then. I never asked you what CGFX stood for, and if you ever mentioned it I've forgotten it, but when I think of CGFX I think of it as a tool for working with shaders and 3d rendering. In that respect the simple black and white doesn't "pop" as you say. When thinking about CGFX, something like this video comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmwfCYuKzs

I'd like to see a version of that, where each letter was beautifully shaded a different (but complimentary) color to compare it to what you have.
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

@ATNO/TW Very interest video, I never knew anything about that, thank you for sharing. I can design for others within hours, even minutes. But for myself I go blank. My business services are Graphics and print media, Multimedia, and Web design and development. The name of my business is "Clever GraphFIX". Starting to make sense?

Smile,

cgfX

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts