Logo Help

• calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys,

I know I'm always asking for help, well here I am again! I have photoshop, it just sits there, stares at me and am sure it's laughing at me! No matter how many times I try to tidy and sharpen my company logo it always looks pants!

Anyone help?

Pete

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How large (pixels) is the original photoshop image and what DPI?
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO, you are always a great help original was 104 x 89 pixels dpi 72 per inch.

Am sure you are just after the 19999 lol.

Thanks bud.

Pete
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should recreate the logo then, and make it at least 1200x1200 px & 300 DPI RGB.

Your original logo image is simply too small to work with. You can always make a large logo smaller with no quality loss , but trying to work with a smaller image, especially if you need to enlarge it will look like crap in most cases.

In addition, the higher DPI is necessary if you ever want/need to send it to a printer for anything. When you reduce the size of the larger image for web, then reduce the DPI to 72 and you should come out with a nice image. And it allows you flexibility of how large or small you can make it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a variation of yours, but wanted to show you the clarity doing it how I described above

• calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO, that is so so much better. All my business is done via the net so changing letterheads etc is not an issue at all as I print my own. How would I cut out the white background for the top banner on my site?

Many thx btw.

Peter
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*grins - you have to lose the background layer on the original psd file and make it a transparent gif. Actually it was an example. Was hoping you'd try it on your own (only way to learn). But if you really need it, you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a transparent version. I'm leaving now and most likely won't be on again until tomorrow.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am trying it on my own bro, u ought to hear the language from me, swearing like a trooper at photoshop trying to extract the letters lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

calvi36 wrote:
I am trying it on my own bro, u ought to hear the language from me, swearing like a trooper at photoshop trying to extract the letters lol

Good sign that you are learning then.

Here's the psd. Just right click and save it to your computer and pull it up in PS.

http://www.atnoproductions.com/ozzu/l2u.psd

The letters are each on their own layer. The white background is the lowest layer. To remove the white layer, simply hide layer 1 and "save for web" as a transparent gif.

//edit. Ooops forgot that won't quite work. I originally made it with the white background and if you remove or hide layer one, the blending options are going to still retain a bit of the white around the drop shadow. What you'll need to do is "disable the layer effects" in the letter layers, hide layer one, then add a transparent layer above layer one, and then enable layer effects back onto the letter layers. Then save it as a transparent .png (24) and it should work.

To disable/enable layer effects, right click the "f" on each of the letter layers and choose the top options.

//Forgot to mention the font is Copperplate Gothic Bold. You'll need to have that font installed. Chances are you probably do, but in case you don't that's the one in use.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx again ATNO,

I messed about with it last night. Couldn't find the font you used, probably coz after reading your last post I found out I didn't have it! I downloaded it though and anyway I hate photoshop but I guess i have to learn it.

Cheers,

Pete
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

calvi36 wrote:
...and anyway I hate photoshop but I guess i have to learn it.

Wrong approach. You only hate it at the moment, because you don't know how to do things with it. If you want to make graphics, then yes, perhaps you "have to learn it" but "Want to learn it" is a much more positive approach. When you "want to" you will.

You even said it yourself

calvi36 wrote:
it just sits there, stares at me and am sure it's laughing at me!

"sits there" being the operative words.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ATNO,

I never meant it like that bud. It is always good to learn new skills and God knows I have learned so many new ones since joining this site. I don't expect anyone to do the work for me but I do appreciate someone such as yourself explaining to me how to do certain things.

I think I have managed what you have taught me and have redone the banner on the site. My Mrs likes it but am undecided, have apeek when you have a moment.

Pete
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah. Looks like you worked it. That will be $120 U.S.

j/k but next time no freebies. *grins

Your payment is you have to join boasting rights and make yourself a sports guru
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol what ya like! I already donated to ozzu, cleaned out my piggy bank. I would join boasting rights but am weird for a male as I hate sports unless its rugby.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had no idea you had such talents Mark. ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
I had no idea you had such talents Mark. ;)

Actually I've learned quite a bit since you worked on our website. As we speak, I'm actually adding a whole new section to what you and lib did and will be doing a V2 from scratch myself this year. Even went to training for Illustrator CS2 and Flash 8
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi UNFLUX, don't diss the mega poster he's been a great help to me. I think he managed the logo as it was not joined up writing lol.

Pete
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasn't dissing in any way, I think you misread it. Try it again as pure sarcasm, then it will make more sense to you. ;)

I was backhandedly complimenting him -- as I'm good at doing. Besides, I promise you Pete, I know he knew what meant. Image
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey bud, I do understand sarc, I think you missed mine though in the diss comment! Then again you don't know me but the Fuhrer Mega Poster is God. I am not even worthy to respond to his omnipotent words, when i read his posts my soul tells me to sing his words as lyrics in a song.

ll the best, humming hymns to his lordship,

Pete

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts