•  
    Mac

PC or Mac for creating graphics

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had a heap of people say that Macs are better for creating graphics, I have no idea why - I use a PC to do graphic/web design here where I work and I have had no probs.

I cant see really what the difference would be in the outcome, besides they way the programs are set up within it.

Whaddya think?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have only used PC's to do graphics on either and I have no problems. However I do not do the really intense vivid 3D graphics or things that really would make you go wow. I have also heard that MACs are supposedly better for creating graphics and animations, but I have no idea if that is true, and if it is, why.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I had a choice, I'd buy my own mac for graphics. I went to a camp over the summer at Newhouse College in Syracuse University, and they had about 7 computer labs of only Mac's. They were a beauty to work with, much better then a PC when handling 2900 DPI film scans, and I had very little trouble learning how to use them. Now if only they were more compatible! Luckily the burner had a 'neutral' burn capability so I could get my photos onto my PC at home. If I had the money, it'd be a Mac along side my PC.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

from what I understand, the difference between the 2 is more or less the
OS and how it handles files and processors. A mac is far more efficient at
handling larger files (as b_heyer stated) than a PC. Memory handling
allocation is also another huge advantage for mac.

in terms of ease-of-use, mac's are just as easy if not easier. It's a little
different of course, but all the same concepts. My buddy bought a mac
for his courses he's in and just like the commercials, swears he's never
going back to pc full time. matter of fact, he's a member of ozzu!
guitrspaz where are you?!

on that note, the compatibility issue is just because of popularity. He still
uses his pc for certain things, but for the most part is using his mac for
everything his pc does. Even running his home network.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah compatibility is a big bug with me, I only am using PC's because, heck I am a kid and I need my games!!!
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am keeping a PC for the same reason, I need my games. But I borrowed my neighbor's G4 for a video editing project. :shock: That was awesome, it was so fast with rendering and my edits. Another great thing for Macs is that they have long supported Firewire, which is very nice to have when trying to keep digital quality. If I had some money to blow, I'd pick up a G5. Since I only have a weekend job, I don't think that'll happen. :(
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh! I understand the difference a bit more now. :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm how much is a g5?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's because they have a better math co-processor. I vaguely remember reading that once, but I think that's why they kick butt on graphics proggies.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, they can get [blur]really[/blur] expensive, really fast. The G5 website is at: http://www.apple.com/powermac/ .
And to see the prices check this out.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... y=PowerMac
You can also upgrade them to insane sweetness. Maxing out all of the internal stuff, a 5.1 system, and two 17 omintors comes to:$10,684
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... .7.1.0.5.3
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, BTW, all the animators for Adult Swim use macs for their flash animation and photoshop.
http://www.adultswim.com/webcam/gal_img/index.html
  • Swami Barmi
  • Swami Barmi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I worked for a CAD/CAM computer design company years ago and they used Hewlett Packard computers that were based on the same CPUs as Macs. Now I do very basic photo edits on my PCs and I have no end of situations where I have to shut down and restart because the things start running so slow. Open and edit a few images and it's only a matter of time.

Mac
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

When people say macs are better for graphics, they really mean macs are good for video and 3d rendering. It does do better with the files (btw, OSX runs off a linux kernel). Where videos and 3d render apps use larger files and need faster bus speeds, the mac dominates.

But, when it comes to flat graphics such as a photoshop design, I personally would rather have a PC. And if I want to get into video anyway, I'll go install <a href="http://www.gentoo.org">Gentoo</a> linux and take advantage of all the free open source programs for 3d developement and video editing. A lot of the 3d rendering you see in movies now days are done in linux such as Matrix Reloaded.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use mac for making animations and image croping for basic photo editiing I use my windows comp's photoshop or my Linux comp's Gimp. I gotta say Mac on this one...
Switch to Mac
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

OSX doesn't run off a lunix kernel, it's Unix man!
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a BSD Unix kernel to be more specific, but the people who use it more are more familiar with linux and the filesystem is run practically the same way which is what matters on the subject of graphics.
  • Goober
  • Born
  • Born
  • Goober

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
Yeah compatibility is a big bug with me, I only am using PC's because, heck I am a kid and I need my games!!!

You can run Windows on OSX and everything will work just as if it were a PC. I like MACS because the are faster, more reliable, and when it comes the networking and the internet, they are way more secure.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that there is far less distance between the two OSes than there used to be.
At one time there used to be no question that for any graphics work at all, the preference was mac, no question about it.
The macs were far more stable and faster while performing hi-end graphics or video editing work, plus the desktop publishing world was pure mac, all the way.

But, over the past year or so, with more and more web_dev/graphics hounds using win2K/XP, it's not quite so clear cut any more.

Until quite recently, I was absolutely loath to switch to winXP, but I must grudgingly admit that (installed on an NTFS partition), winXP is damned fine and so far has not crashed, nor required a reboot with the exception of rebooting into Red Hat 9.

I usually have multiple graphics/web_edit apps running and often have that gamespy networking interface running so that I can effortlessly switch from applying a metal_effect plugin to hosing down the opposition in Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic :-]

Granted, I have a gig's worth of RAM, but thankfully win2K/XP are able to make good use of >512 MBs of RAM, unlike win9.x/ME (Microsoft Error).

There's ALWAYS going to be fans of all forms of OSes, some more rabid than others.

At one time, if mac were able to access the same huge software cache on the market, I would have gone to mac...now I don't feel that same burning need to.

Just an opinion, eh...

Cheers...

C.C.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mac/PC... it really depends. Macs tend to have better displays that are colour calibtrated. This is especially helpful with dealing with professional printing. Macs also play well with other Macs which make for happy creative design teams.

But, we're only talking about "tends to have". Common graphics software is available on both platforms... so the difference is slight.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, the uptime on my Mac is something like two hundred days error free. (Rebooted to catch up on patches (its not on the Internet often)).
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Max uptime I've had on a PC is around 400 days.... of course, it was running Linux for the duration ;)

On Win98SE, I think about 15 days has been my limit, although I've had a coupla months on Win2K.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw a NetWare box go just over four hundred days. That was the longest I've seen excluding a VAX machine that went fifteen years. LOL
  • osa

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are few (special) apps works only on PC and vice-versa. I don't like adv, I don't name :lol:. Macs are more stable but you can select your OS on PC not only MS WIN. Most used software works on both platforms. I think that there is no difference for now (except more stable MAC environment).
  • Goober
  • Born
  • Born
  • Goober

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well for simple graphics for a web page or something like that, I guess it really dosn't matter. But as far as over quality gose, I would have to say that MAC/Apple is my pick, even though I currently only own a PC.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts