Magazine/Brochure production

• buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

i need to produce a brochure that will be mailed out to people and also handed out. its a full colour on glossy paper. i need to know what resolution i need to take the photos at with my digital camera. i think that the pics need to be at a reso of at least 300dpi to 400dpi. what size pic will that be on my camera?the pics will need to be optimsed already and imported into quark (or indesign, i havent decided yet) whats the best way of doing this without getting any pixelation at all because that is the most important thing

any help on this would be brill
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to shoot your photos at the highest pixel dimensions that the camera allows.

While you're working with images on the camera and the computer, there's really no such thing as DPI. The DPI will be set when you set up the document's file to be printed.

If you have an image that is 3000 pixels wide, printed at 300dpi, the image will be it's best quality up to 10 inches. Beyond that, you'll be scaling the image up, and you run the risk of losing quality.

I would personally lay this out in Illustrator, but the programs you mentioned would, of course, be as good.
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

brilliant. i know that there are some real good pics that i could use on the net but thats web quality and not really good for print stuff at all.

i have illustrator and i have quark. i thought that quark is good for laying it out ready for the print. i would save the file as a high res pdf for print or low res pdf for web download.

am i on the right tracks here?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

buzzby365 wrote:
brilliant. i know that there are some real good pics that i could use on the net but thats web quality and not really good for print stuff at all.

i have illustrator and i have quark. i thought that quark is good for laying it out ready for the print. i would save the file as a high res pdf for print or low res pdf for web download.

am i on the right tracks here?

Either program would be adequate, I believe. Illustrator is my preference, only. I've always done single page items. I wouldn't want to lay out a book/multi-page item in Illustrator.

Something you might want to check; the print shop that you're using will often have template files for common situations, such as a tri-fold brochure. The file will already be set to the shop's preferences and often include guides for bleeds, crop-marks, safe lines, etc.

If the print shop itself doesn't supply these, you can find the very same thing on the web from other shops.

Good luck! Don't forget to embed those fonts. ;)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to plug a print shop that can answer any printing questions...www.printingyoucantrust.com

:-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts