Mass RAW convert

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know if it's possible using software like Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Lightroom, or even Adobe Bridge CS3 where i can do a mass conversion of RAW files to .jpg?

I've got hundreds i took while in Australia and New Zealand that i'd like to upload to several sites but simply cannot be bothered spending the time converting them individually. If anyone knows of the possibilities of doing this then i'd love to learn how to.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

should be pretty easy ... open them all up and have an action ready that saves a file as JPEG. then just apply the action to all of them ...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depending on what camera you have I don't think adobe has a plugin to open the RAW file.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can open RAW files in Lightroom 1.3 and Bridge. Infact, if i want to amend the files in either program it automatically opens up Photoshop CS3 in order to do this.

I should have worded the question a bit differently. It's not a case of "can it be done" it's more how do you do it? I just couldn't remember.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actions
Record new action -> Save As -> JPEG (quality settings etc) -> Select output folder -> Close image

Batching
File -> Automate -> Batch... -> Set: folder where your action is -> Action: your new action -> Source: Folder/ Choose the folder with the files -> Check override Action "Open" Commands, the rest as you see fit -> Destination: I recommend creating a new folder to dump these into.

Set your file naming method and bang! Leave your computer running for a few hours and you should be set.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent neksus. I appreciate that.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did that from memory - if you find something that doesn't work PM me and I'll see what I can do to be more specific :)

I only work in RAW now, so I've gotten my workflow pretty robotic now when it comes to the final output (I normally use ZoomBrowser to output all to TIFF - but the mrs wants all the pictures in a low-res format for Facebook, and that's where the batch comes in).
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Batch process...oh...neksus told you. :thumbsup:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts