MEGApixels relativity

• GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ummmm.....I want to know....No I hear jokes about people getting 8megapixel cameras and not needing that many unless they are going to be making billboards but i was thinking that i don't think that is enough megapixels so.....How many, megapixels, would I need to make a picture about the size of....let's see what is generally universally the same size...hmmm a billboard, that is on the road, how many megapixels for something like that? And let's assume that my budget has no bounds. BUT that doesn't mean I want that crazy 24 megapixel camera available only in Japan lol. That thing is sick it's like the size of a bowling ball with more knobs than home stereo systems
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

After some looking i've decided i hate manufactures lol. If possible could you refer a:

Nikon (optional)
8megapixels or more------------------|
7 or more optical zoom.(optional) |----------------These 2 are my must haves
interchangeable lenses---------------|

Oh and the Konica brand are they Good? Bad? Good at this bad at that.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's only one Nikon DSLR more than 7MP, and that's the Nikon D2x, which costs about 5 grand.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found it for $2,325.00 :D go eBay!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you found a D2x on eBay for $2,325, then kiss goodbye to your $2,325 and the camera :)
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is like 8 of them. so go for it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, what I'm saying is, if you've seen a D2x on eBay for 2325 bucks, you're going to get scammed, it's as simple as that.

This is what a D2x costs
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canon 8.2 SLR
http://shopper.cnet.com/Canon_EOS_20D_with_18-55mm_lens/4014-6501_9-30994097.html

Nikon D70
http://shopper.cnet.com/D70_Digital_SLR_Camera_wSigma_Two-Lens_Kit/4014-6501_9-30801859.html

[/url]

Nikon D2x $3969
http://shopper.cnet.com/Nikon_D2X/4014-6501_9-31117300.html
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO_II wrote:
Nikon D2x $3969
http://shopper.cnet.com/Nikon_D2X/4014-6501_9-31117300.html

When you're paying well below retail, you're going to get ripped off.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9193.html <-- That's who's selling it for $3969.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Though not perfect that Canon is very ideal thanks much OriginNO_II.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, the 20D isn't a bad camera, but you need to get some GOOD glass to justify using it.

I tried one out with a 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens & Canon ringlight macro flash to shoot some baby egyptian & monocled cobras. Absolutely astounding detail.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess it comes down to what your doing with the camera, megapixel is only one thing in the equation.

There's the camera, lens's, flash's, different f rating lens's, optical zoom, it all comes down to budget and what you want out of the camera. Megapixel determins the resolution of the image eg 1280x1024, so higher megapixel the larger the image, the larger the prints before loosing quality.

Generaly though, more money, better camera. Set yourself a money limit and go read reviews and see what's the better camera for your needs.

The Canon Rebel is getting alot of attention atm..
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

With DSLR, the lens isn't an issue. Because regardless of what body you get, the lenses are a separate purchase.

The D70s comes with the 18-70DX lens, but I'm not limited to using JUST that lens, like I would be on a point-n-shoot with a fixed lens.

"Optical Zoom" is all you have on a Digital SLR. There is no "digital zoom" (which is absolutely useless).

You were close on your megapixels vs. detail comment.

Yes, more megapixels == more pixels in your image == larger image.

BUT, that does not necessarily mean better quality. The images from the 4.1MP Nikon D2h/D2hs are MUCH sharper & crisper than those produced by the D100 (which is 6.1MP).

It all comes down to the QUALITY of the sensor, not just how many megapixels it has.

The Canon Rebel is getting a lot of attention (as is the RebelXT), but they're very entry level cameras, just like the Nikon D50, D70 & D70s cameras.

Yesterday Nikon just announced the impending release of the D200 (10.2MP, 5FPS, real nice DSLR) for $1699. I'll definitely be picking one of those up as my next camera.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

your quite right, i was just stating generally, if you put a good dslr with a granny and a cheap digital with a person that is steady 9 times out of ten i wonder who would take a better picture? also i doubt the grandma would know how to even use the functions on a dslr.

I only own a Canon A95 camera it does quite well, you can check out my gallery, i would own a dslr but the simple fact is im poor :oops: lol

EDIT: yes sensors are an important part in it as well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts