MMORPG within reason

• WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is now very easy to do MMORPG. Most who I know who do so regret they ever did. I am about to do one in a different light. I don't intend to make any money... just have some fun. If one were to approach it as a project to express themselves and have some fun with a group of friends or maybe as a class learning project there are some very powerful tools now available for free that would have cost large sums just a few years ago. Really, all one needs is in two free programs, but I suggest to my students many more freebies simply because they are fun. The entire thing can be done with Unity and that is where most I know end up regretting ever having attempted it. The results are limited and difficult to continue to manage. A far better result has a steeper learning curve. That would be the combination of Blender and ShiVa. Just a few years ago one would still be lost on that learning curve. Blender has improved. More than that, video tutorials for both Blender and ShiVa are so excellent now one would have difficulty not mastering them even if not paying attention if they just left those tutorials play often enough.

Blender can do all the modelling, world building, and animating. ShiVa does animation and some world building. The ShiVa web version is free and has the server/client module needed. I would also suggest using Adobe's Edge Animate for HTML5/Java on the website controls. It is also free... for now. A domain name can get one enough of a website to get started for free. On the other hand, some of the very cheapest hosting services offer a free domain name for as long as you are with them. There is a way the whole thing can be done for free by doing a page here and there under the paid limit of many hosting services and designing the "REALM" to have a story line that breaks to another website when needed and launch in full screen.
  • WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two toys I do mention to students are Sculptris and iClone. Sculptris is free and simply amazing. It is a modelling program that works like real world clay modelling. The freedom gives the models a very unique look. This is a Pixology product. Its big brother has shaped what we expect in animated productions.

The other is not free, but for what it is capable of is certainly worth getting a second job or mowing some lawns. It is not expensive and gives any project a very professional look. That one is iClone. Comes with some models and world elements. It animates on a puppeteer paradigm and can be input with Kinnect. Also does lip sync.

Programs like these make websites more than websites. They move it away from that "magazine" format. They make it exciting. They make the creative process thrilling. They make viewing them entertaining and surprising again. The web presented as though a magazine is not recognizing its potential. It is not even a movie like Avatar because it has the potential of being FAR more with interactivity.

It is because the mind and senses desire more that HTML5/Java standards are evolving. The provayers need more. They demand more. We must, as the developers of the web, provide more.
  • WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not very lively group here. I had hoped for more. We are looking for wizards. Real web wizards that realize web tools are things like Lightwave, Premier, After Effects, ShiVa, Zbrush, Blender, UDK, and fractals with Pixel Bender. Toys like Dreamweaver and Edge Animator are for after the work is done and do all coding can do. We are in a struggle to win the cultural war against commercializing the web. Our little cell has a free very sophisticated website available for a gifted artist to develop into a work of art from an Adobe Catalyst service. The only requirements are that the website be of exceptional quality and very unique. It cannot be commercial.
  • WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

emraanhashmi wrote:
tutorials?? videos??

Sorry, the above post is three months old and much has changed in that time. Are you asking if tutorials and video tutorials are available for those software? Yes, and they are extremely thorough... but my recommendations list has changed. There are major changes coming to the web with Emscripten. Understand MMORPG is also tongue in cheek. Such things are a stupid waste of bandwidth. What one should do is design for massive interactivity that does not require the bandwidth. There is a far better way to do it and profit more.
  • WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't think in terms of MMORPG. Think in terms of a website as part of an overall stratagem, with captivating gif that can post anywhere at the front end, an engaging interactive website as core, and product matched to it that extends the content on flash card.

In the case of http://wizard3.com I begin with flat content done in Photoshop, not yet interactive but with lots that can be posted to Google communities to begin interaction in philosophical discussion. In the next stage, THE REALMS, it becomes just a bit more interactive using krpano and entices the viewer further into moderately priced site experiences authored in UDK. Within that very realistic 3D interactive environment certain items will be sought that will be also offered for sale as actual items of jewelry. Each will contain flash memory that contains an extension of the experience, not only in interactive 3D, but in true VR authored in Vizard5.
  • WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

As for V5, not many video tutorials there and it costs an arm and a leg, but is easy enough to master if proficient with Py.
  • WIZ3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WIZ3

Post 3+ Months Ago

About UDK: Many MMRPG are now done with Unity. This will soon change as more Py runs on web. It is considerably faster. Epic, the makers of UDK, and Firefox have already achieved this and it was so successful all other major browsers are jumping on board in a hurry. If developing it would be wise to do so for a year out when Py will be the competition.

This is not the old method of compiling Py to web formats, but embedding it into Java to run at almost native speed.
  • jully6686
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jully6686

Post 44 days ago

They move it away from that "magazine" format. They make it exciting. I begin with flat content done in Photoshop, not yet interactive but with lots that can be posted to Google communities to begin interaction in philosophical discussion.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts