Voting Chart

Total votes : 15

What 3D software do you use/want to learn?

•  
    Maya
  •  
    Lightwave
  •  
    3D Studio Max
  •  
    Cinema 4D
  •  
    SoftImage
  •  
    Blender
  •  
    Truespace
  •  
    SketchUp
  •  
    Solid Works

3D Modeling Apps

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm curious what applications people are using or interested in learning. I'm contemplating writing a few tutorials and I'm trying to figure out where to focus. I've intentionally left out specialty modelers (terragen/bryce, poser, realflow) and dedicated render software (Mental Ray, POV-Ray, Renderman). Hopefully the techniques can be covered in a useful way that's available in a general modeling/animating/rendering app.

So have at it? What topics are you interested in?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am extremely interested in 3D Studio Max and would almost love to see a subforum dedicated to it. About a year ago on my other computer I installed the trial of it and learned as much as I could in a short period of time. My main issue with that APP is that it is just so expensive to purchase and at this time I would not be able to profit from it, it would be used more for learning purposes until down the road I can actually develop something. The last I checked I think 3D Studio Max costs around $3500.00 USD, sigh.

I am interested in that APP for all sorts of reasons, the main reason is for game creation assets/art/media. I was able to model some objects and started to get into texturing. I am also interested in creating videos and realistic images. There is so much to learn with that APP, feels overwhelming.

I actually modeled the house I live in now from the outside, and it turned out very well. I never did get to the texturing stage of it though (ran out of time on the trial).

I barely got into rendering, and I feel there is alot to learn there to get adequate results. Very interested in all of it though, I just wish it was more affordable.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If cost is the main issue and you don't have a specific use requirement IE preset workflow I would seriously look into a few of the others.

I use Cinema 4D. Its extremely powerful (same abilities as Max) but a lot cheaper at ~$900 for the core package which is still expensive but much better than Max/Maya

Also take a look at Blender. Its got amazing capabilities (modeling, animation, rendering) that easily compete with Max/Maya/C4D but its completely free.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cost would be the main issue right now because I just cannot justify that large of a purchase without seeing immediate benefits from it.

My worry is this. Down the road I do eventually plan on investing more time into this area and hopefully one day start developing games that I can profit from.

Lets say I take your advice and use something like Blender or even Cinema 4D. Do they export in numerous formats that could be viable for games? If down the road I started to be able to justify putting money in that area would it be hard to move over to 3ds max? Would you have to learn everything over? or are many of the tools used the same way?

I have heard that 3dx max is the best tool to use if you need to develop assets for games, but I am not sure if that is really correct. I have used Lightwave before and I must say I did like 3dx max way better.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well whats best in the long run is a bit hard to answer. However, the base concepts in all the programs are very similar. IE you always start with a mesh, add textures, lights, cameras, animation and then render/bake the file for some other work flow. I kind of feel like the interface is the hardest thing to learn when picking up a new 3D app since the way they work is the same but items may be in a different menu etc.

Personally I made the choice to go with C4D because it's built to export to After Effects and Photoshop which are both in my company's animation pipeline. I don't do any game dev and C4D doesn't really support any.

Blender on the other hand is being targeted toward game dev (including texture baking, light maps, and a pretty cool bullet physics engine) see the bottom left column of the Blender features page.

I think I would find the best way to learn the techniques since they change quite quickly and there will likely be a huge version learning curve in Max in a few years anyway. I sort of look at this like the difference between the Gimp and Photoshop. In a pro design studio they'd laugh about you using Gimp because its not part of their workflow. However, if you've been using Gimp you still understand the core concepts of layers, masks, adjustments, etc. There might be a learning curve to figure out a different interface but its isn't as if the time in Gimp was a waste.

Blender would be the same thing. I think it can integrate very well with game engines, build assets, etc. Its just not the industry standard. I think if the goal was to do your own game then Blender is a great option. If your goal is to get a job as a modeler at Valve or similar then you probably would need to know Max not because its better but because its a job requirement.

BTW I think you would find just about any of them easier to use than Lightwave.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love 3D. I used 3DS MAX exclusively. Actually, I started with 3DS r.4 when I was doing AutoCAD, which was before the MAX series.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the need or the time in several years. I'm sure I'm very rusty.

I just looked up a couple of old anims for fun.

http://www.myirmo.com/cleanMe/runben.wmv
http://www.myirmo.com/cleanMe/monroetwiliger.wmv
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those are pretty sweet. I started playing with 3DS around that same time and then dropped it until about Max 8, then dropped it again for C4D. Its crazy to see the improvements over about 10 years. Any idea how long those renders took back in the day?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not for those, specifically. I do remember animating The Ghost of Stephen Foster by The Squirrel Nut Zippers. The song/video was just shy of 4 minutes and the average render was 32 seconds per frame. :)

I think I renered it on a P-200.

Funnier, when I was in school in Raleigh and living in Columbia, I used to have to carry JPG sequences back and forth on 3.5 diskettes...like 100 of 'em.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I picked Maya, 3-D Studio Max and Blender,....maya I picked based on former member Axe and his work with it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man I've gotta start playing with Blender. It looks really powerful esp for the price. Anyway it looks like I should shoot for some more generic 3D tutorials. More about theory than any one specific program since people are all over the board on apps.
  • guppyman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • guppyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Blender most of the time. It is really very powerful comparable to the highend stuff. But the learning curve is quite high. But, after learning it, it is quite fast to operate and work with.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

3Dsmax all the way, seems as though there are far too many tutorials out there for Maya and hardly any for 3Dsmax. Sad really, because I much prefer it over maya.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts