Need help with transparency issue

• garry2005
  • Born
  • Born
  • garry2005

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello...a newbie here, and not all that proficient with Photoshop 7.

Maybe my questy should have been "How do I get rid of a particular color in an image or object".

I use a little program called SmartDraw to create various objects, which can then be saved as jpg, gif, bitmap or whatever. Problem is, SmartDraw doesn't have the smarts to transport an image with a transparent background, so I end up with, say, a rounded-rectangle (or a circle) inside a white, rectangular box with white, square corners. I can set the SmartDraw background to any color (except transparent) and it transports okay.

A Small favor: If anyone is able to help me with this, please understand that I use P/7 infrenquently to sharpen or blur a picture, or maybe resize it, but...I do not know what I'me doing with it. So if you tell me to "Use the Gloppiter tool" and leave it at that, believe me, it will indeed get left at that. I can probably find most things by menu, but I get lost in the cryptic sub-menu wording.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Garry (garry@jetcoder.com)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I have no idea what SmartDraw is or it's capabilities. But, if you can, try saving it as a .PNG. Thats assuming your background is transparent within the program it self. If you are saying that you can not draw on a transparent background at all then you will not be able to do it with that particular program. What you can do is import your objects into your PS7 remove the white background then save as: .PNG. or GIF. Personally I always save in .PNG when I want to preserve transparancy.
  • garry2005
  • Born
  • Born
  • garry2005

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the reply, and >>import your objects into your PS7 remove the white background << is probably a very simple task for those who know how to do it. I do not. Can you possibly tell me the steps to do this? I thought my post was clear, that I need to get rid of the white and don't know how to do it...maybe this will help.

Thanks,
Garry
  • pHr0sT
  • pHr0sT
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have Adobe Photoshop 7, and if the background is pure white with an object in the middle, I would try to extract the image. You simply higlight the border of the object you wish to keep, and then use the fill bucket to choose the image inside of which you bordered. This will then make the rest of the image transparent, than you must save it as a .gif or .png to save the image transparency.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi.

i've never used PS7, ive onle ever used 6 and CS2, but i'm going to assume that the toolbars are basically the same.

In the tools bar (defalt on the left) click on the magic wand tool. (should be at the top of the tools and look like a stick with an * on the end).

With this selected, click on the part you want to delete, and click the delete key. The magic wand tool selects the area that you selected until it comes to another colour. (ie. if you had 4 squares, one white, one green, one red, and one blue, if you clicked on the area that is blue, it would select the blue in that area. Just saying this to make sure you don't automatically think it will select all of that colour everywhere on the image).
  • truthhunter
  • truthhunter

Post 3+ Months Ago

boy do you want your image to be transparent and independent of background or not

1. specify where are you going to use the image
a.for printing
b.for webpages

buddy for printing you cannot you will have to remove it in photoshop
1.through masking or
2.by magic wand or
3. by simply painting with the color you want

to change background i would suggest masking
another way is to select the object with the magnetic lasso tool and move the object to any locaion

for web pages there is an option (transparency wizard ) which will guide you through the process and believe me it is quite easy

pm me if you have any queries or want more help

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts