Need some camera advice

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was recently accepted to take part in a Photography and Digital Imaging course at a Colleg in Edinburgh, Scotland. In my interview it was mentioned that i would have to be in ownership of a 35mm SLR camera (fully or semi automatic).

I dont actually have a camera that meets those requirements so i am required to purchase one. I have had a look at some cameras and i'm quite a fan of the Nikon D50, however this is way out of my price range as i have many other things to save up for before this course starts.

Does anyone know of any good cameras with a price range of about £150-£200 (would probably be roughly the same in $$) that you would suggest i look at purchasing?

Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I realize the course is on digital imaging, but you refered to the camera as a 35mm which denotes a film SLR. Then you mentioned that you liked the Nikon D50 which is a digital SLR.

I am going to assume that you just need to have a SLR camera(either digital or film). I am not sure if you are going to find a digital SLR in the 1-200 dollar range. The cheapest I can think of would be the Canon digital rebel/xt. But thats still in the $700 range.

For regular film, I think the cheapest SLR(by Canon) would be the EOS Rebel K2, I didnt really shop around but found a kit with body and a len and some other accessories for around $270. Here is a link though its for a store in the US. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search

Hope this helps a little.
Dangles
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Dangles.

I think you just pointed out a flaw in my post that i wouldn't have even blinked at due to my lack of knowledge on Cameras.

Ignore my suggestion, i was unaware that the Nikon D50 was a Digital. I am looking for a 35mm SLR camera for a good price. Thank you for the suggestion of that camera. I notice on Amazon that they have a pre-owned Canon EOS 300 going for £85. All i'm really looking for is something that will keep for at least a year that will do the job i need it to do for the year so i can save up over the course of the year for a newer better camera for next year.

Here is a link to that Camera on Amazon.

I know this is silly, but could someone have a look at that and let me know if that looks as good to you as it does to me? i mean, the lens that comes with it is a 28-80mm which i believe means it covers what i'm requiring. It's also an SLR camera and not a Digital camera. Please correct me if i am wrong, i honestly know little about these type of cameras.

Thanks again Dangles!
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks to be a decent camera for a good price, and sounds like it will meet all your needs. But, to be honest, I probably know less about cameras than you. All my stuff has been digital, and I dont normally look real deeply into specs. Probably best to wait for Dangles, the all knowing camera man, for the final decision! :lol:
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey SB,

For the price I dont think you can go wrong on that camera. I tried to find some reviews of the camera online, but since it was introduced a while back I couldnt find many. Most of the sites I saw had it ranked at about 4 stars. That would seem to me that its a decent camera. And realistically as long as it works and you are able to learn the workings of a SLR camera(from the class I mean) it should be fine.

I am a huge Canon fan, I dont think you can go wrong with one.

I have been out of the photography world for a real long time, and have been itching to get back into it, now digitally.

Good Luck! and make sure to post some pics.
Dangles
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Dangles.

I contacted the seller about the Camera, waiting to see what he says about it and depending on his reply i think i'll probably order that camera.

Once again, thanks. You can have a look at some of my submitted photographs at DeviantArt. I go by the username "EssBee". Those photographs are all from my Digital Camera though.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of potential interest:
- In-depth review at photo.net.
- Intro to Canon EOS cameras.
- User ratings at ciao.
- User reviews at reviewcentre.

This camera is, I believe, the Rebel 2000 in the States, so you may find some more info by searching for it using that name.

Hth,
Gita
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brilliant, thank you JustG.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was in the same boat as you SB, as soon as i hit college i needed to get a film SLR camera. I posted here and ended up buying a Minolta X700 off ebar for £70. has server me very well. Bought a couple of new lenses for it and am investing in pair of extention tubes too.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The more i look at that EOS 3000 the more i feel like buying it. I think that's what i will do. I havn't heard from the person thats selling it on Amazon and i see another camera on Ebay which is attracting alot of interest. The only thing with the Ebay item is there is alot of stuff coming with it. Current bid on Ebay is just over £100. Not sure whether to keep my eye on this despite it being second hand.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I purchased the camera on Amazon (Canon EOS 300) the other day and it arrived in the post today. Brilliant condition.

Instead of the 135mm lens that comes with the camera as standard i actually got a 28mm-80mm zoom lens which i believe is alot better.

I'm going to have fun playing about with it later on today.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts