Nuts, Bolts, and Reality please.

• Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been using paint shop pro, and I am able to get photoshop now. Let's skip over the individual features--bells and whistles of such. Which one is the best at "rendering"--if I'm using the right term. Pixel depth, dithering, converting, printing, and blending of colors to where it is real smooth instead of jagged. And "more professional", don't need to hear that. All insight and help appreciated. Also throw fireworks in the mix.

And lastly after that, if in fact the rendering and printing of photoshop is better, is it possible to first create in paint shop and then open the file in photoshop where if I print it from photoshop or save it again it will it look like I originally created it in there? I'm asking because from what I hear photoshop is hard to learn. It seems like an odd question, but it has merit; I do audio engineering and if I was to record and mix in one program (the cheap one) and then open it up in another program (the expensive "professional" one) to do the final mixdown, the audio engine of the professional one provides an increased audio quality and there is an extreme noticeable difference in final audio quality from both, even though it was originally made in the cheaper one. I'm wondering if the same principle applies to drawing programs.

Thanks.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I dont know too much about Paint Shop but Im pretty confident that if you open an image in PS it will print the image in whatever condition it is in at the time of printing. If the quality is not that good it can be adjusted easily. The reason I am replying though is because you mentioned you heard PS was difficult to learn. I guess if having to learn more makes it more difficult then maybe so. However, whatever you know how to do with Paint Shop, you can just as well do in the PS and more. Remember, it's not the software, it's the PS masters that make it look difficult.
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I guess this is the last question on this. I don't know if I'm understanding things properly, but does photoshop actually print things out better? Meaning if I was to print the same image out in photoshop, and any other program---whether paint shop or any standard program that is displaying an image---will the photoshop image look better, by whatever means whether pixel or color quality or whatever? My thinking on that is it ONLY has to do with the printer.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good question. I've never printed from anything other than PS so I have no reference for comparison. If I had to guess I would say that it probrably depends more on the type of printer you use. I do know this, if the software you are using can not output color formatted for CMYK, the color(s) of your project will not look quite the same when it is printed.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if the printing is "Better" from Photoshop than any other application.

I use both Photoshop and Illustrator to print (And occasionally word), and for images, I've always had consistently high quality results - but my images have been very high resolution.

An 8x10 print at 300DPI is 2400x3000 pixels (7MP), so you need to make sure the original source you're printing is big enough.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started out with PSP 3, then dropped it when 7 was replaced.

While there are some tasks I can do faster in PSP, and still do use it for that, you simply can not beat PS for the quality of the output.

The gradients are smoother, the drop shadows (either internally generated or by manually using a DS layer using PS is far superior, the print quality is better since you are printing a better quality image.

The learning curve can be steeper, but it truly IS worth it.

Go to some PS tutorial sites to learn how to do the basics, then carry on from there.

I did this logo for an online gaming team, I doubt that I could have done as good a job as I did with PS with all of it's advanced features, then again, I stopped using PSP as my primary image editor after 7 came out.

http://www.paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/mojo_logo.jpg
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold Canuck wrote:
The gradients are smoother, the drop shadows (either internally generated or by manually using a DS layer using PS is far superior, the print quality is better since you are printing a better quality image.

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know. So here is the final question then, and it goes back to my audio engineering analogy. Being that the image quality is better---hopefully that is not a subjective statement---if I was to import an image into PS that I made in PSP, would it look and print better--relatively speaking--now that it's in PS?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know how well PSP prints compared to PS, but I can tell you that PS produces absolutely flawless prints.

I print 6x4 and 8x10s on my dye-sub printers all the time here. I print those out through Photoshop, and they're outstanding quality. I've done good prints and bad prints - but always due to how the image is post-processed, not the quality of the printer.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Champak wrote:
Being that the image quality is better---hopefully that is not a subjective statement---if I was to import an image into PS that I made in PSP, would it look and print better--relatively speaking--now that it's in PS?

Raster programs such as Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop are completely dependent on original source image quality. Photoshop cannot magically make your Paint Shop Pro images sharper/smoother/better than they were. And colour quality depends on output devices and the colour profiles in use.

There are are other considerations which are related to this topic, such as use of vector shapes when possible, but I'd say the basic answer to your question quoted above is no.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts