Paint Shop Pro 9 has arrived!

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im just downloading the trial version now. It looks very cool, and much more advanced then the previous PSP's..

You can also pre order it through Jasc

Has anyone used it yet?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop is more profressional then PSP
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that may be the case, but PSP is easier to use, easier to learn, the tutorials are widely avaliable, and for someone who isnt a professional web designer, its more affordable at only $110.

Oh and by the way, here in Australia, Many of our colleges that provide web design dipolmas and certificates, use not only Photoshop, but they also use PSP. I actually know of one that is completely PSP based.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:

benat didn't ask for opinions on whether PSP is better or worse than PS, in fact he/she never even mentioned PS at all... benat asked for feedback from anyone who has used the new PSP software yet
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou musik.

I actually find that PSP is almost the same as PS, and I know quite a few web designers who use PSP as their main design program. If you know how to use it properly, its a very powerful tool. :P

Quote:
in fact he/she never even mentioned PS at all

Iam female also musik, just thought I'd tell you that. lol.
  • FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Nowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

benat wrote:
I actually find that PSP is almost the same as PS, and I know quite a few web designers who use PSP as their main design program.

I know quite a few web designers who use Notepad as their main design program :x
I mean... come on, how can you even begin to compare PSP with Photoshop ?! They may seem alike to you if you only use the less advanced features common to web-design, but if you were a complete graphic designer and had to work with printers and vectors, RGB as well as CYMK and Lab graphics AND the advanced features used in digital art, maybe you'd change your opinion.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sheesh, this has turned into a debate, I didnt ask for a debate, I asked if anyone had used PSP 9!!

I find PSP good, and it does what I want it to do. I dont need to go and spend hundreds of dollars on a program such PS, when I dont need half of the features it offers. But that being said, I have used PS and I found it, for what I used it for, LIKE PSP, but alot more advanced, and harder to master then PSP!

All I said WAS I know people who use it to do web design, and they do it professionally. I also know of a college that uses PSP as its main tool in its web design course. It cant be that bad then eh? It must beable to do something must'nt it?

Quote:
but if you were a complete graphic designer

I never once said that I was a complete, or professional web/graphic designer. Web Design is a hobbie, and Iam a member here because I run a home business website. So next time you try and make me feel like an idiot for not knowing much about graphic or web design, and not being an absolute expert in photoshop, and not knowing how to create all of those fancy designs you mentioned. Keep your opnions to yourself, cause my original question WAS not to do with what my talents are, or what I know it was about PSP 9!!
  • FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said PSP is like PS and I found that to be an offence. That's why this has turned into a debate. If you would have said "I find PSP to be more suitable for what I do then PS", I wouldn't have corrected you.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you actually use PSP?
  • FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I made it pretty clear why I don't use it. And I have used it, in my early days. I know it's easy to learn, but it's everything but professional. But OK, the dispute is over.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any more posts about Paint Shop Pro (PSP) v's Photoshop (PS) and I will remove them.

Let's keep it on topic eh ;)
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think i will be downloading the trial version to see how many better features it has got then previous ones.

One of the features i liked in PSP8 is the image fixer when you click a button and it does all the levels for you automatically! I found that saved me so much time!

I hope it is still as quick to load. PSP8 loads in about 10 secs, photoshop takes about 25! Anyway i am going off topic.

I will let you know what i think of it once i have had time to play.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been playing abit in PSP 9 and Ive found it takes along time to load. Maybe though that could be due to the fact that I have PSP 5, 7, 8 and now 9 running lol. But yeah it looks cool. Its got a few features that PSP 8 doesnt have. And heaps more then PSP 7.. But Iam still loyal to PSP 7 at the moment, I think its the best so far that Ive used anyways.
  • nolz
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will like to hear WHY foxy says that PS is the best or more correctly professional than PSP, i know both programs from A to Z, they nearly got the same functions but PSP 8+, PSP 8+ got some thing more, but PS also got some thing that PSP don't have (fx. radian blur, CMYK color, LAB color. (but who uses that, in fact the system self turns the images to the color it uses) and thers some funktions then you make posters). but i really like to know Why Foxy says:

Quote:

??
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat I agree, I love 7, I have installed on my laptop. It loads fast and works fast. I upgraded to 8 at work and as they add more and more features each time it's starting to get bulky.

Nolz:
I think the 'professionalism' comes from the fact someone who pays $500 for a software package compared to a $100 software package is going to expect it to have more features and for high end users they will find options can use that other lesser cost packages don't have.

Everyone has their favorite. Most who are die hard PS fans may have tried PSP years ago when it was much simpler, that isn't the case anymore. I have both installed and personally I usually use PSP for most of my graphic work because I can do it faster. If I was a true professional I probably would need the features that a higher cost 'professional' graphics software package would offer.
  • NoamDesign
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NoamDesign
  • Loc: Israel

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing to argue about... you cant compare a tricycle and a BMW...
  • WildFire
  • Born
  • Born
  • WildFire

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, I'm new to this but to answer the person question about using PSP9, I have the full version which has more tools and options then the trial version. You can transfer all the pluggins, tubes, frames, brushes, textures, scripts, and patters from PSP 8 to PSP 9. Also PSP 9 can use "ALL" of PhotoShop and some BladePRo Pluggins. I will not compare the difference PSP9 vs. PhotoShop because they both are excellent programs. It's up to the user preference.

Both programs are highly recommended but I give credit to Jasc for creating a program that's easy to use, has the same capabilities as PhotoShop and a price range that is affordable to us non professionals who design graphics as hobbies or beginners in graphic designs.

My idea which I hope it works, that we (PSP and PhotoShop) users can share ideas and learning experiences.

Thanks in advance. Dan
  • Sevenfold
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sevenfold

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh nice, I've tried PSP 9 but I thought it was sort of "too advanced" so I revert back to PSP 8.10 as the above poster had said, both programs are excellence, it's up to one individual.
  • Nic
  • Student
  • Student
  • Nic
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya,

Im new to the digital art section of this forum, but I had to reply to this topic.

I've had PSP 8 & PS for about a year now, and I've been using them both consistantly. As a web designer myself, I found that PS is considerably more time consuming to produce the same results.

For Instance, this sig below took me 45 mins on PSP, where as it took me roughly 1h 30 mins on PS. & it didn't even look any better for the extra time taken.

So for me at least PSP wins.

(P.S. Sig is used for another forum.)
  • WildFire
  • Born
  • Born
  • WildFire

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an answer for Menat.

I use Paint Shop Pro 9.1.1. It has all the features that I need.

I'm not gonig to sit here and argue about PS vs PSP, they are both excellent programs, it's up to the user preference.

PSP 8 took allot of memory scheaching my computer to a halt. However it seems that they did allot of improvement on PSP 9. It uses less memory however, once again it can slow down if you overload it with tubes, mask, images, and plugins. I have over 4,000 tubes, 5,000 mask, 8,000 images, and a whole bunch of Photoshop plugins installed.

PSP 9.1.1 has allot of great features that any novice to experts can use.
8)
  • Darian Knight
  • Born
  • Born
  • Darian Knight

Post 3+ Months Ago

NoamDesign wrote:
There is nothing to argue about... you cant compare a tricycle and a BMW...

Then I suppose there is no comparison between the MacLaren and the BMW, except you've paid far too much for your BMW when you could have gotten the MacLaren for free. *cough* GIMPShop *cough*

As a professional designer I happen to use all three. Paint Shop Pro 9, Photoshop and GimpShop. In the end it really depends on a few factors which one I will use for a project. I use Paint Shop Pro for the Intermediate stuff, Photoshop for the slightly more advanced, and then whip out GimpShop when I need a real graphics editor that is outright overkill for a project.

Most instances, Photoshop it outright overkill for me, but it does have it's advantages for the more advanced stuff. Of course, why bother paying for Paintshop Pro or Photoshop when GimpShop is both free and more advanced than both of them combined?

I say stop being elitist. Some really great graphics can be done with any of the three options, regardless of what each has or has not. In the end it really boils down to the actual raw skill of the graphics designer, because a lot of the time, Photoshop Elitists are actually just hiding behind their millions of plugins which do the job for them, while the rest of us could reproduce the Mona Lisa with MS Paint out of raw skill.

Just remember, the greatest artists in the world, and in history, didn't have a Plugins database to inflate their egos. They had raw talent and the most basic of tools.

A Wacom Tablet and Paintshop Pro can work wonders for somebody with real talent.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad this topic finally got on track.

I've never used PSP but after all the good comments about it, I think I'll down load a trial and have a look myself... thanks all
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume its changed a bit in the last 4 years since this thread was started...
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Darian Knight for reviving this, i didn't even look at the dates
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
I assume its changed a bit in the last 4 years since this thread was started...

heh

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts