Photography

• Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am thinking for Christmas about asking for a digital camera. I would like to get into photography a little. Nothing to extreme, just would like to have a nice digital camera w/ me when I go places. Can you reccomend a digital camera that would be good for me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it works, and isn't super-expensive, get it. Cuz it's pointless to get a super-duper camera if you're not sure you're gonna like photography. My friend bought one for 1000 and doesn't use it anymore cuz he's bored of photograpy, so watch it.
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any cameras though you can reccommend
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know anyhting about cameras.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a Nikon D70 and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's the only digital camera body I've used, so I can't offer any comparisons.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

For just getting into digital photography, or just for a "camera to have around just in case", I would recommend the HP Photosmart M407. It's easy to use, takes really nice photos (even if you don't know what you're doing) and is small enough that it's not a bother to carry around.

For reference, I also have an Olympus C720 and have had a Fujifilm MX-1400, and 2 different Canons in the past. The Olympus is great for posed shots, but for impromptu shots, the HP is great. Not to mention it's only $199, compared to $499 for my Olympus,and has a higher resolution than my Olympus. As an added bonus, if you have an HP photosmart printer, you can plug the camera into the printer and print directly from the camera.
On a side note, I really have to say that the HP actually takes better photos than the Olympus does. The pics that come from the HP are generally MUCH clearer than the ones that come from the Olympus, unless I have *just* the right light.
  • veedee
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nikon coolpix 2100, or 3200.
Many features on this low end digital camera, manual white balance, manual exposure, sharp, bright and clear LCD thou' you take a picture in a dark place (unlike samsung), 6 picture mode.
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
As an added bonus, if you have an HP photosmart printer, you can plug the camera into the printer and print directly from the camera.

That'd be perfect because I do have a HP photosmart printer... :D
  • Kevins_Kevlar
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Bc, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jako wrote:
I am thinking for Christmas about asking for a digital camera. I would like to get into photography a little. Nothing to extreme, just would like to have a nice digital camera w/ me when I go places. Can you reccomend a digital camera that would be good for me.

If your looking for some ideas on which model to ask santa for check out my signature for the site that will soon compete for the no.1 google position for " digital camera " give me one more month ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I use a Nikon D70 and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's the only digital camera body I've used, so I can't offer any comparisons.

If you're looking to spend a decent amount of money, then I completely stand behind dM's suggestion.

The D70's a GREAT camera for somebody getting into SERIOUS digitial photography.

But, serious digital photography can add up to serious amounts of money real quick. The D70 body alone costs a grand, and lenses can costs anywhere from $50 to $10,000 (some are even more expensive).

If you just want something casual point-n-shoot style, I'd look at pretty much anything made by Nikon, Canon or Fuji in your appropriate price bracket.

Head down to the local Ritz, take a laptop along with you if you can, try out the different cameras, transfer the images you take on each camera to the laptop, or burn them to a CD, then have a look at them full screen on your monitor when you get home to compare the actual images. Remember to make a note of which camera took which photos.

Then hit the online sites to get better prices.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com
http://www.keh.com

There's a couple of top quality places I buy from. B&H is probably the biggest camera store in the world (they're in New York), and KEH has mostly used (but extremely good condition, and great prices) equipment.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts