Photoshop Color Problem

• eJPM5000
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eJPM5000

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everytime I hope something in Photoshop the colors are completely different then they are before I open the photo or anything else. Like when I open a photo from my camera the picture looks brighter and less saturated. I have tried changing all of the color profiles. It isnt just for photos. If I create something right in Photoshop and save it as a .jpg and when I upload it to the web or look at it in something such as Microsoft Picture Viewer the colors are way off also, even when I save it at the maximum quality.

So here is an example.

This is just what the photo looks like when it is open in Photoshop after I adjust and have it just the way I want it.

This is what it looks like after I save it as a .jpg at the max quality. It doesnt look anything like the way it should.

Do any of you know if there is something kind of setting that is incorrect? I have never had this problem before.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a whole lot better eye than I do. I mean, I can see a slight difference, and your enhanced jpg version does look a tad better, but the casual eye isn't going to see much difference.

Only thing I can suggest is make sure Photoshop isn't defaulting to CMYK. You need RGB for web and CMYK for print.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO, is right. You are probrably defaulting to CMYK mode. I had the same problem when I first started with PS.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can see a distinct difference in the background colours, the bottom one is a lot darker in patches. I would try ATNO's suggestion of changing the mode to RGB
  • webmetrics
  • Born
  • Born
  • webmetrics

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you save as a jpg file you also have to option to attach an ICC profile at this point. Try both selecting and deselecting this option and see which works better.

Also, in Photoshop's Color Settings menu see what you are doing with your Color Management Policies as these many need to be adjusted as well.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem. When I set colors, such as 0 0 255, it comes out as a purple. When I save it as a jpeg, it is blue. I use RGB mode.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can attach an ICC profile before you save it - as it's stored in TIF, PSD and many other formats.

Your best bet is to use either AdobeRGB or sRGB ICC profile if it's intended for the web. If you're planning to print it, most printers have custom profiles specifically covering the gamut of those printers (many commercial printers just ask for sRGB).

But, yeah, I'd say it's either something to do with your colour profile, or that you're editing in CMYK instead of RGB.

Personally though, I prefer the way Photoshop's saved it, rather than your original edits the way you want it. The way you've shown it to your liking, it just looks too light and washed out.
  • eJPM5000
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eJPM5000

Post 3+ Months Ago

It isnt just when I save it the picture though. Whenever I open an image things don't look right.

Such as....

I have this photo from my camera.

AND

When I open it in Photoshop it looks bright and not what it should. Like this.

Now I know that the differences isnt that great but it does make a big difference when it comes to photographs and getting the colors right..

But I have noticed that my Proof Setup was set to Working CMYK. And the only way that it looks like that way it should is when I set it to Monitor RGB. I didnt think this made a difference when I comes to saving and viewing images, I thought it was something for print. But is it just my monitor that its going to look like that or will the image look roughly the same for other monitors, because I know its not going to look the same on everyones monitor anyways?
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no way around trying to get an image to look exactly the same for different monitors. Believe me I've tried. I do most of my work on my Mac but when I put stuff up on the web I go to my PC. The colors are often darker on my PC than when I originally created them on my Mac. Take my avatar for example, on the Mac you can actually see the "e" fully.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO_II wrote:
Take my avatar for example, on the Mac you can actually see the "e" fully.

I can see it fully on my PC. The PC monitors generally being darker than Macs is because 99% of PC owners don't (or know how to) correctly calibrate their monitors.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops: Well I feel sheepish. Guess I should try doing that. I never bothered because I don't work on my pc. Thanx again Axe.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No need... many people still don't realize that a PC can do everything a Mac can do ;)

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/vi ... m?recid=12

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts