Photoshop VS Gimp

• Moonfire
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moonfire
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just curious to find out what you prefer, I try to use both but because there arn't too manty tutorials for Gimp, I end up using Photoshop although I do like using Gimp
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Gimp but don't use it. Not out of preference, but I figure if I'm gonna pay $500 for PS, then I'm going to use it lol
  • Moonfire
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moonfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, is that CS? or am I completly out of the loop
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CS2

Amazon price $589
  • Moonfire
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moonfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

the box looks pretty ;) :twisted:
  • Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

i much prefer PS beacuse its more professional and has a lot more functions and things...ive been using PS for over 5 years..and i still have about 80% of photoshop to learn about.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I dont care for one over the other/ Ive used both, but mainly use photoshop, just because it seems to be an industry standard (at least more popular than Gimp). Plus, I got an awsome student discount on it from the schools book store. :)
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

They're both pretty evenly matched in terms of features (though Gimp may lag a bit behind). I think Gimp is a very well put together app, but, I didn't find out about Gimp until a few years ago, and I've been using Photoshop since 2.5, and quite frankly, I'm used to the interface. Even though, for a while, it seemed like the team at Adobe couldn't decide whether to put certain features on the Image menu or the Edit menu.

I just can't get used to Gimp. Especially when saving a file. I know my way around most image formats, but it seems to me like Gimp will allow you to save images in non-standard formats, like a 32bit GIF, for example. This may not be the case, but the save functions in Gimp are VERY cryptic even for a veteran. I can only imagine what kind of confusion it causes with novices.

And for those who are curious, yes, I have tried the Photoshop GUI version of Gimp (or whatever it's called). It makes it look a bit more like Photoshop, but it still doesn't behave like Photoshop.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

How odd, I just read about this a few minutes ago. I'd never heard of GIMPShop before, and when I read the article snippet I thought of this thread and thought I should post a link to it here. And here you are talking about it. Heh.

- Gita
  • Moonfire
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moonfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link - I didn't know about this :D
  • vcx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Albert_chu wrote:
i much prefer PS beacuse its more professional and has a lot more functions and things...ive been using PS for over 5 years..and i still have about 80% of photoshop to learn about.

I'm in the same position, i've used it for almost 6+ years and i still think i learned only 10% of how to use it.
  • ranochio
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ranochio

Post 3+ Months Ago

go for PS. you will find this very usefull
  • Ballena
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ballena
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

PS for me.
  • Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

to me it seems as though both gimp and PS are professional software. however, more people tend to use photoshop because a lot of graphic designers prefer it over anything else and also because of its reputation.
  • aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Gimp is OK for Web work. Not so good for print media.

I use the Gimp just because it's free and I can do what I need with it. If I were a professional digital artist, I'm sure I'd have Painter & PhotoShop. But at this point, creating nice little logos for Web sites is easily done in the Gimp, and it even has lots of nice plugins/actions for text. So I have no need to pay $$$$ for Photoshop.

-Tony

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts