Photoshop Help

• KoL_Shadow
  • KoL_Shadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is probably an easy question, but I really need to knwo the answer, lol-

How do you remove the extra background off of images that you copy off of the internet or PC and the paste in Photoshop? Example, how would I remove the white background off of this picture-

http://www.afjv.com/press0512/051202_nintendo_wifi.gif

Or perhaps take the image of Mario out of the photo-

http://www.dlmag.com/gallery/.gallery_files_storage/6/1_959556.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

the tool you want to be using is the magic tool brush..its where you click on the outline of lets say for example mario, and it will automatically outline the rest of his body for you. if its not as accurate asyou have watned, you can use the brush next to it...(forgot what it was called) but u can manually trace around the picture with a .5cm bleed so after, you can use the eraser tool to get rid of any excess bits.
  • KoL_Shadow
  • KoL_Shadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

But when i do that, it just highlights sections of Mario instead of the whole thing, and baises each section off of color. is there any way to change that?
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use the 'Mario selector' tool. This is found to the left of the 'Make me look beautiful' brush.

:D I jest.

With Mario, I'd use Photoshop's path tools (the fountain pen) to draw a bezier outline around Mario, turn this into a selection and copy and paste him into another document. You could also use the linear selection tool instead of the path tool and keep clicking right around Mario until you join up.

You should be able to use Alberts method for the Nintendo Wi-Fi logo.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not want to say anything that might take away what Impel GD just said as i appreciate his knowledge on Photoshop and other works.

What i will say just as a side note is when you are copying graphic using the "Magic Wand" tool in Photoshop i often find that rather than clicking little bit's of the graphic and deleting them, you select a bit using the "magic wand" tool and then before doing anything else Press Shift and then select another area of the screen you want to highlight. This is alot neater than clicking with the wand tool and deleting over and over until the bit's have gone. I will take your Mario graphic and show you how neat it can be just pressing the little button we all know as "shift" (or "shifty" to me :wink:)...

Without using the Shift button...

With using the Shift button...

It is a lot quicker and neater. I thought i might share this with you.

And just to comment on your first post regarding the first image ("how would I remove the white background off of this picture"). I think Vladdrac explained how to do this very well in this topic - "Transparent GIF's"
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah - looking again at the image you should be able to do at least most of it using that method. It's just I find that when I do come across areas of low contrast between the subject and the background (eg. Mario's hands and the end of his boot) I seem to spend longer fiddling than if I manually cut things out.

You might need to adjust the figure in the magic wands toolbar for best results.

You might also like to try using Filter > Extract. It explains how to use it at the top of the resulting window.
  • KoL_Shadow
  • KoL_Shadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thx.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also if you are going the magic wand route, you may find that lowering the tolerance may give you a broader selection
  • KoL_Shadow
  • KoL_Shadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

How is that done?lol

UPDATE
Nvm, I found out how.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

One additional note, for anyone else who may benefit from this thread in the future. Paths are great, very powerful, but I'm really no good with them. The freehand lasso tool is very cool too, but my hand isn't steady enough for careful object masking. The method that works best for me is Photoshop's Quick Mask. I just press "Q" on the keyboard to switch to Quick Mask mode. Immediately I notice that the foreground/background appear their default black/white instead of my selected colours. This is because I can now use any brush and simply paint my selection, saving along the way, without worrying about messing up and having to start over. If I use a pencil, for example, I get a very hard, absolute edge, but if I use a brush or airbrush, I get a softer edge to my selection. When I'm done, I just hit "Q" again and I'm returned to the normal view of my image, my selection neatly outlined and ready to be extracted, saved, or further manipulated.

Hope that helps.

- Gita

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts