Photoshop Keeps Freezing

• MurderousOne
  • Born
  • Born
  • MurderousOne

Post 3+ Months Ago

tulsaimagery wrote:
For nearly a month my computer was just freezing randomly. I ran everything from anti-spy to virus etc... It wouldn't freeze in safe mode though. Finally someone advised me to try a new video card. I tried a new one and everything seemed to work fine. I had used one from a friends computer so I gave it back and bought a new one a NVIDIA GeFORCE FX 5500. I thought my problems were over. I reinstalled everything because I had formatted when first trying to solve the problem. Everything on here works now except for Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop freezes randomly at no particular task just everytime I use it. I have reinstalled several times and I'm using the same CD to install from that had been on my computer for over a year before formatting. I have two physical drives and I have tried it on each. I downloaded the newest version of Photoshop from Adobe's Website and same thing happens. In addition I have updated the drivers for the video card, done a windows update, ran msconfig and disabled all my startup items and rebooted in VGA mode and reinstalled photoshop as suggested on Adobes site. Same thing. If anyone has any additional idea I'm all ears. Thanks!!

I've Had This Same Problem & I Found Out That None Of The Fixes Worked For Me... I Noticed That It Was My Installed Fonts That Was Causing Photoshop To Crash Or Freeze... My System Specs Are Very Above The Requirements For PhotoShop, So I Knew It Couldnt Be That... MY PC Specs Are: 3.0GHZ Quad Core 2 CPU,4Gb Ram, 500GB.HD. 512MB Gforce 8800GT... I Doubt The PC Specs Has Anything 2 Do With It.. Seems That Since I Had Over 10,000 Fonts Installed Into My Pc It Was The Cause Of The Crash... I Removed Most Of Them & Left About 500 Fonts In My System... Now Photoshop Runs Flawlessly... It Seems All The Fonts Were Crashing Photoshop Even If I Wasnt Adding Text To Any Project... Try Removing Some Of Your Installed Fonts & Add Only The Ones Your Currently Going 2 Use For Your Projects.. It Worked For Me... Maybe You Guys Are Having The Same Problem.. C If That Works...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

MurderousOne you do realize that this post is over 3 years old. I would assume it was resolved by now. However there is a good lesson here. professional designers have been using font management software for years that only activate fonts when they're needed. Since fonts are available to every application in the system, having a lot of fonts installed creates unnecessary drain on all your system resources.
  • MurderousOne
  • Born
  • Born
  • MurderousOne

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
MurderousOne you do realize that this post is over 3 years old. I would assume it was resolved by now. However there is a good lesson here. professional designers have been using font management software for years that only activate fonts when they're needed. Since fonts are available to every application in the system, having a lot of fonts installed creates unnecessary drain on all your system resources.

No... I Actually Didnt Notice The Dates On The Post... Sorry If This Incovinience Anyone Here But I Was Experiencing The Same Problem Recently When I Installed Over 10,000 Fonts... I Figured I Should Post It Here Anyway Just In Case New Users Like Myself Are Experienceing This Problem Presently As I Was.. Can You Post Any Of Those Font Management Programs If You Know Any??? I Would Like 2 Use Some Of My Fonts But Dont Want To Experience Lag Again... Thanks For The Info Though... You Can PM Them 2 Me If You Do Not Wish 2 Post Them Here.. I Appreciate It... M1..
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem. I assume your using windows in which case the most popular font manager is Extensis Suitcase. Proxima's FontExpert also gets good reviews and I'm not sure when the windows version will be available again, but Linotype's Fontexplorer is an incredibly powerful free app.

On the mac there is a decent bundled font manager called Font Book but Suitcase and Fontexplorer are also available for OS X.
  • MurderousOne
  • Born
  • Born
  • MurderousOne

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
No problem. I assume your using windows in which case the most popular font manager is Extensis Suitcase. Proxima's FontExpert also gets good reviews and I'm not sure when the windows version will be available again, but Linotype's Fontexplorer is an incredibly powerful free app.

On the mac there is a decent bundled font manager called Font Book but Suitcase and Fontexplorer are also available for OS X.

Thanks I Actually Have Both OS's... MacBook OSX 10.5 & 3 XP/Vista Machines... So This Would Be Usefull. Ill Def Try Them Out..
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the interest of keeping this fresh and up to date i have split the topic into two and locked the previous.

You did nothing wrong with leaving your post where you left it, so don't worry about the age MurderousOne.

Hopefully the info provided has helped you resolve your issue.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts