PHotoshop NUB

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, so I'll let you know that I'm a total NUB at photoshop. I'm trying to figure out how to combine images but I don't know what it is refered to.(i don't know the lingo so I don't know what I'm searching for.)
This is what I'm after.

Cut certain image from a picture

Move that cut image to another photo and be able to size it and place it where/how I want.

Thanks in advance...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorta like this?
http://psfanatic.com/?p=67
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The word you're looking for is "compositing". :)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your responses, I'll let you know..........
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a very poor example since it is a drawing but it's the same idea. you have one photo of the lion with the sunrise , but the you add in the photo of the face in the sky..........

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kind of image are you trying to make? is it a collage thing, where you cut one thing out with sharp edges and move it onto another image, or is it a blend like in your examples, where two pictures sort of flow into each other? give us some materials to play with, maybe we can help
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
This is a very poor example since it is a drawing but it's the same idea. you have one photo of the lion with the sunrise , but the you add in the photo of the face in the sky..........

Are you just talking about layering maybe? For this picture you would have the picture of the lion and sunrise, then you go to the 'layers' tool in the lower right hand corner and choose 'add a new layer' (one of the little icons on the bottom). Then you open up the picture of the face, select it, copy it, and paste it into that new layer. Adjust the transparency a little and there you have it.

If I'm understanding the question right, that is... :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

By adjusting the transparancy you'd go to Layer>Layer Options>and change opacity to whichever floats your boat.

I know i've missed something out from that list, but it's relatively easy to do once the screen is up. I'm away from my laptop at the mo and there is no photoshop on this machine, so this is all from mind.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

but can you move the layers? what if I wanted that face in the clouds to be in the top right corner? I can't figure our how to place wherever I want.. thanks for helping out all!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

once you put it on a separate layer you can do anything you want to it - move it (the black arrow tool) , transform its size (ctrl-t and then drag the corners of the box that appears around it), change its color channels (image - adjustments - levels/ contrast/ color balance/ hue&saturation etc...) or anything else you want.

when you drag an image from one photoshop file to another, it immediately forms a new layer for itself. when you cut away the pieces of the image you don't want, your image will be perfectly isolated and will not interact with your other layers in any way until you tell it to do so. essentially layers in photoshop are like sheets of transparent film or foil, like what animators use to hand-draw cartoons. each sheet of film (layer) can be moved around and individually manipulated (painted, cut, pulled around) independently of all others.

if you're trying to do something specific it might be easier to show us what it is (if you don't want to show us the file itself give us an example that roughly approximates) so we can explain step by step on the specific example....................... just a thought
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, thanks for you suggestions, I don't have time to play with it now but I think you may have put me on the right track, I'll let you know...
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally figured it out, I had to open up Imageready to do it though. Now I just need a crap load of pratice to do it correctly.

Thanks everyone.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Imageready? how come?

What was already said to you should have worked, unless i completely misuderstood what it is you actually wanted.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I was wondering about imageready too. what did it do?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

In ImageReady there is a box that you can check called "Show Transform Box". Click this and you can resize, move around, whatever.... I couldn't find this in photo shop (I probably just a tard though). After I got it to the correct size, location, I would open it back up in photoshop to make other changes...

Let me know how tarded I am...
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very :D Once you get your head around the way things work you'll be fine ...

All you gotta do in photoshop is have the drag tool selected:

Highlight the layer which has the content you want to move:

Click and drag somewhere on the actual image:

If you want to resize just press 'ctrl+t' to enter transform mode ... if you want to retain the shape hold the 'shift' key while you transform.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Easy Enough.........thanks........
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop confuses me Haha. I've been using PSP for 6 years and its almost the exact same as photoshop, so I don't really see the need to change. PSP is compatible with almost every PS filter, and its much much easier to get your head around.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I swear by Fireworks, but that because most of the graphic work I do is for web graphics, which is exactly what Fireworks is for. Could I learn Photoshop? Sure. Would it be worth the time in my case? Probably not.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it annoying that because I do not know Photoshop I am not classed as worthy for almost any web design roll, thats just wrong and narrow minded. Oh well.

</hijack> :lol:
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Starting to figure it out a bit.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jflynn2008/2214908588/
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind