Photoshop Transparency

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just made a graphic and uploaded it onto one of my websites and the basically consists of just text. I created it using Photoshop and worked on it as having no background...so it was transparent.

When i uploaded this graphic onto the website it had a white background. Is there any way i can sort that graphic to appear with the transparent background and for the text to be the only thing appearing as the graphic?

Any help would be very good!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The background in photoshop is actually white in color, if not specified before starting work on a piece. If you want a transparent background, delete the "Background Layer" and use just normal layers for all the work. I cant remmember where you can change the actual settings for the background to make it transparent, but I know thats possible too. I dont have the program up in front of me right now, but if this thread is still active and unanswered on monday, I'll take a few minutes in the schools computer lab and find it. (I dont currently have my copy of photoshop installed at home). good luck.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, the background layer is set at transparent on my machine... for those that are curious you set it when you create a new document it has a section at the bottom of the set up section called "contents" which has the options "White", "Background Color", and "Transparent". Mine is automatically set at Transparent.

Just for the record, i should have maybe pointed out i am using Photoshop 7.0 and not CS or CS2.

Thanks for the reply Smokenjoe. Unfortunately it didnt quite answer the problem.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. Hopefully someone else has something for yah then, cause I'm out of ideas until I can sit at my school computer. I had a brief thought that it might have to do with the coding used in puting it on the web. Setting dimensions for pictures in HTML used to throw me off, espacially for something dealing with no specific dimensions. not sure how that would be coded(my HTML skills arent very good though). Other than that.....................

good luck.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out this recent thread, maybe it has something to do with your design problem.

http://www.ozzu.com/digital-art-forum/exporting-text-templates-htm-t58117.html
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

IN PS you have to use the "save for web" option. Select to save as either a gif or png. Click the check box for transparancy then click ok.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have fould out that saving it as a .jpg some times sets the backgroung to white but if i save the file as a .gif then it is easier for the tranparancy look. try making it a gif file and then upload it to the web and see if that helps out.

mtg
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it is saved as a jpg file. Because its text if i was to install it as a GIF file it really loses its quality even when its as good as it gets. I will have a play about with it again, if anyone has any other solutions then i would be very grateful to hear (or read) them.

Thank you all for your help!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well, i just temorarily fixed it as a Gif and tidied it up a bit (even though it still looks poor) and this is how it turned out... The Banner.

If anyone has any ideas on how i can tidy up that logo a bit more or if you can do a better job then please feel free in letting me know. It really dosnt look as good as i'd hoped right now.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB I will be glad to do it for you if you can tell me what font you used?

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey hey SB here is my try for you can pick up the image in my photo bucket for the next few days.

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

crapolla it did not work right hold on ill repost the pic again

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

HERE IS ANOTHER TRY FOR YOU
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

This problem is very easy to rectify in Photoshop.

Open a new file and write your text how you want it to look. The background will be transparent. Crop it to the size you want.

Then if your background of the page you want it to go on is black or more black than any other colour - do the following:

File
Save for Web
Make sure your settings are set to GIF
Then where it says 'Matte' click the drop down list and select 'Black'
(If your background was another colour you can select 'Other' and input the colour code)

It will basically put some black coloured pixels around the text so when it is on the black type background, the text will not look pixelated or jagged.

Click save and name the file and save.

This method works for anything you want to create in Photoshop, not just text.

Hope that helps! :D
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mtg131g wrote:
SB I will be glad to do it for you if you can tell me what font you used?

mtg

The font i used was the "Corporate Gothic Bold" font.

The problem with your graphic you posted mtg131g is the white lines on the outside of it. As you see on my site i have a dark background and it dosnt look right that way.

I am going to give musiks suggestion a go and will let you know how it goes in the next few moments.

Thank you all for your help.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Worked perfectly musik. I believe thats the best its likely to get. Thank you!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

:thumbsup:

Glad to be of assistance :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts