PNG colors displaying incorrectly

• tog
  • tog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, this is very annoying: my image http://www.bigissueground.com/images/big_logo.gif displays incorrectly on http://www.bigissueground.com/ in Firefox and Safari (I haven't tried IE yet as I have a Mac). Though the colour is right when the image is loading in a separate window, when displayed on my home page it turns into a lighter shade which doesn't match the underlying top navigation bar.

If anyone can tell me how to fix this, I'll be very grateful! :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• marlonbtx
  • Born
  • Born
  • marlonbtx

Post 3+ Months Ago

chek the hexadecimal color, and open paint , select color propieters put
the 2 first numbers in red but in decimal ,then the same to green & blue
  • tog
  • tog

Post 3+ Months Ago

marlonbtx wrote:
chek the hexadecimal color, and open paint , select color propieters put
the 2 first numbers in red but in decimal ,then the same to green & blue

I did that, I'm definitely using the right colour!
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand wanting to know how to fix the problem you are having for future cases. but to quickly remedy for your site, dont use an image and simply type it in.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

No.. you're not using the right colour. And your image is a GIF, not a PNG. Anyway, as you're using a Mac, go to your Applications folder and check out Tiger's built-in DigitalColor Meter.

RGB values for your background: 51,102,204
RGB values for the logo: 57,107,206

When you save as GIF, depending on the options you use, your palette will be changed to what the algorithm deems is appropriate. To avoid this, use a different format, like JPG or PNG. However, in this instance, OriginNO_II is absolutely right: you've no reason to use an image here, just type white text on that header blue background colour.

And by the way, the GIF's colours aren't magically changing, as you seem to think. If you use DigitalColor Meter on both the image opened in a new window and on the image on the page itself, you'll see that the RGB values of the blue are the same. That the blue looks like it's changing is just an illusion because a) you were certain you had the right colour so weren't considering that you did not, and b) because in its own window the image is on the browser's default background colour (most likely white), while on the page it's on top of blue. This affects our perception of colour.

.g
  • tog
  • tog

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
No.. you're not using the right colour. And your image is a GIF, not a PNG. Anyway, as you're using a Mac, go to your Applications folder and check out Tiger's built-in DigitalColor Meter.

whoops yes, i got confused... long story

Quote:
And by the way, the GIF's colours aren't magically changing, as you seem to think. If you use DigitalColor Meter on both the image opened in a new window and on the image on the page itself, you'll see that the RGB values of the blue are the same. That the blue looks like it's changing is just an illusion because a) you were certain you had the right colour so weren't considering that you did not, and b) because in its own window the image is on the browser's default background colour (most likely white), while on the page it's on top of blue. This affects our perception of colour.

.g

You're completely right. I've now switched to the PNG, which obviously did preserve the right colour, and all is as it should be.

Thanks very much for your help,
  • tog
  • tog

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO_II wrote:
I understand wanting to know how to fix the problem you are having for future cases. but to quickly remedy for your site, dont use an image and simply type it in.

Of course you're right given my current image, but it's just a placeholder for a design I'm working on... also I'm told most Linux users wouldn't have Tahoma, so wanted my logo, at least, to display as I wanted it to.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts