Post Your Camera

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe - that Nikon camera you are looking to buy was what I was looking at about 6 months ago I think. If I recall doesn't that camera or one similiar cost around 8k? I think the one I was looking at was around 11 megapixels. I love the fact that it has an incredible optical zoom more like regular cameras and the fact you can add on different lenses. Most digital cameras are restricted in that area.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Nikon D100 (6.1MP) that I got runs about 1500 bucks retail. The Fuji S2 (12.2MP) goes for around 2000 depending on how good a deal you can get.

There are a few more expensive ones...

There's the Nikon D1-X (5.47MP) for 4 grand, the D2H (4.1MP) for around 3 grand, and then there's the massive 14MP Kodak DCS 14n also for about 4 grand.

The 14n is another hybrid digital like the Fuji S2. Based of the Nikon N80 body, same as the S2, but with Kodak electronics instead of fuji, and an extra coupla megapixels. Also, the 14n seem so to come with a built-in vertical grip for portrait shots. To do this on the D100 you would need the MB-D100 battery pack, which sits on the bottom of the camera, also working as a vertical grip. The D1X & D2H also have a built-in vertical grip. I'm not sure whether there's one available for the S2 or not.. After the deal fell through I didn't look into it much more as there were no others I could find available at a good price and to be honest, I wasn't sure whether I needed one with the type of work I was going to be doing, but with the MB-D100 on my D100, I've found it's extremely useful, and maybe would go so far as to say essential (given the seemingly endless battery life, heh).

There are new cameras on the horizon. There's the D70, Nikon's first Digital SLR under a grand (but only a buck under a grand, heh), There's the D200 coming out sometime in the near future, and there's also going to eventually be a couple of other higher-end cameras coming out.

I did find one near 8 grand, The Canon EOS-1DS (11.1MP), although personally I just prefer Nikon gear.
  • Kraze
  • Kraze
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm currently using the Sony DSC-F707. It does a great job and I love it.

...though I'm planning to part with it for their new Sony DSC-F828's future replacement. What I mean by that is they should be releasing a new model of the F828 hopefully this year (maybe an F838 :D ).

The camera I have came out in August 2001 and in the following year (September 2002) they released the improved Sony DSC-F717. Sony announced the DSC-F828 this past August 2003. Based on this timeline I'm hoping to see a tweaked F828 in August / September 2004.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive heard good things about that sony specially its carl ziess vario sonar lens of course its not the same quality as the profesional carl ziess lenses (considered to be the best optics in the world) but you would still have a better lens then any other consumer camera on the market except for the nikons with ED glass

i dont have a digital camera mainly cuz my brother is a major photography freak and has a Nikon D1X and a 5400 and he also has his films cameras so i just jack one off of him =)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooooooh, D1X baby! Nice camera... My D100 is now feeling inferior, hehehe.

The D1X is 5.47MP right? How does he find that prints out at 8x10 compared to the D100's 6.1MP? Does the D1X produce much sharper prints pixel-for-pixel right out of the camera?

I'll be honest, there's no way I could afford the D1X right now, so I didn't even really look into it that much before getting my D100. My choices were basically D100 or Fuji S2 Pro.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

the shots are excellent cant say ive ever seen a d100 shot next to a D1X shot but ill ask him to see what his take on it is
As far the D1X i wouldnt buy one now knowing the D2H just came out beast of a camera with 4.x mp dont member the stats but 8 frames a seccond up to 40 frames constant at full res extremly fast with a new autofocus system thats faster then that of the F5 and a better metering system i mean the D2X is got be on the way although probably not as fast it will have much better detail
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I wish I could afford a D2H, but at 3 grand, that's just beyond my price range right now, heh.

The D100 suits my needs pretty good. Most of my images are intended for the screen right now, so super-sharpness at 3000x2000 resolution isn't essential. A little post-processing and resizing to screen-friendly resolutions (640x480, 800x600, etc.) produces good enough quality images...

8 frames a second would be super nice. That is one thing I miss on the D100... My N90s's motordrive is faster than my D100, but film is just too expensive to keep getting developed. But I'll just learn to live with it for now.

I could imagine though that 8FPS for 5 seconds would take a LONG time to write to a CF/MicroDrive though... If you did go for 40 frames, how long do you have to wait before taking the CF out to make sure it's written all those files out?
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i really dont know and thats a good question but judgeing from the use of the ever slower D1X which i used alot to shoot at my nieces b-day no matter when when i pushed the shutter the thing went and really good.
from what my rbother told me they split the ccd into two pipelines to make processing quiker and i think they added some form of cahce memory to prevent that kinda of a delay. the Hs ( D1H and D2H) were inteded mainly for journalist who have to shoot and shoot fast so i dont think they daley can be that great ill have to look into that
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right yeah, I'm pretty sure it has some kind of buffer too, to temporarily store it, while it takes the subsequent shots, but if you're using a 12x CompactFlash (1.8Meg/sec), and you're taking 8FPS 10Meg RAWs, that's gonna take a while to actually get it on the card.

I've done that with my D100 before now. Been shooting at 3FPS high-res RAW, and pulled the card out before it's actually written all the data. Fortunately they weren't super important shots that I couldn't get again any time. I was just testing out some different white balance settings.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just checked up on the Nikon D2H site and you cant shoot more then 25 frames in raw mode for 40 frames you need to shoot jpeg also sais that nikon built in a color process that helps with skin tones and landscapes by processing colors diffrent and ( not sure how this one works) simultaneos writing of raw and japeg info on the same shot for sped up work flow operations.
  • mdipi
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canon 300D Digital Rebel 8)

I would recomend it to anyone in the market for a sub $1000 DSLR or slr imatation (there seem to be a lot of people getting those)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, why go immitation when the D70's out now for $999? :)

But, the 300D in't bad at all - for a Canon ;)
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh i missed this thread.

Nikon FM10. full manual, only electronic feature is the light meter. Wish it had a zoom.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

heres my camera :lol: :lol:

wooooo

Bet you all jealous now
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm very jealous. ;)

btw: I made the mistake of trying to pronounce the brand on the bottom of the camera, out loud. The guy next to me thought I said lesbian.

hahahaha :lol:
  • rualert
  • Born
  • Born
  • rualert
  • Loc: Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, newbie here. I currently have three digicams. First is my Olympus C2500-L 2.5 MP, 3x zoom SLR, fixed lens. Second is a Nikon Coolpix 950 2.0 MP 3x zoom, fixed lens. And finally the Canon D30, 3.5 MP, interchangable lens, full SLR digicam. They are all wonderful camera's. I won't get into the age old discussion between Nikon, and Canon, because the lens glass has improved to the point where it's a moot point. I have the 28-80mm USM zoom, and I'm about to purchase the 70-300mm IS USM for the Canon. The Nikon is used for digiscoping, as there is no other camera, so well suited for this pourpose. The Oly is a great studio based camera, and the Canon is just plain great.

Rualert.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe can I please have some of your money :lol:

I have the expensive Ixus 420 cos it has the best image quality that would just about fit into my poket with a case or easily without. + Its the best looking compact IMO.

Image hot linked from http://www.canon-europe.com

I recon anyone looking for a cam should get the 400 / 410 (US) / 420 (uk) or even the 500. Do not get the Ixus II cos it it sucks.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, now where is b_heyer?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

oo, okay. thanks
  • sunlion333
  • Loc: Miami Beach

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Canon Digital Rebel (or EOS 300D for you foreigners) is the best deal on the market with 6.3 Megapixels and a lens for just under $1K. It's got the same CMOS sensor as the EOS 10D for less money and easier to use. I shoot for a living and the files look almost as good as from my 10D.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

*shudder*, a canon fan ;)

Welcome to Ozzu :)
  • .soulty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lost in Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, another Canon Fan.

Got myself A Canon Powershot G3 year ago.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/ :)

this camera is my next step:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/ :P
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use an Olympus E-10. Not so great but I got it for free! 4.3 megapixels with professional controls for the f-stop, shutter speed, iso, wb, and quality isnt so bad.
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sony DSC-P8 for me. Blah. Wish I had a 5.0 mp.
  • Dirty Howie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought a <a href="http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/31/1763&pq-locale=en_US">Kodak LS743</a> from Comp-U-Plus.com for $296 plus $56 for a SanDisk Secure Digital 256MB memory card. The camera is sooper dooper. Lots of features. Many scene modes plus the ability to manipulate the pics as if it was an SLR. It has exposure settings of up to 16 seconds. Flash is very good and it takes Quicktime MOV-MPEG4 digital movies. In the 320X240 setting it can take up to 25 minutes of digital video on the 256MB card. The sound is terrific in movie mode. I've made one digital video so far. You can view it, it's a music video of a friend of mine, at <a href="http://www.anti-heroart.com/movies.html#ronjeremy">Motel Todd Musical Insanity</a>.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just joined the Nikon D70 club! :D
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is a local store
http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&gid=33
what do u think to their sort of camera's?

just wondered from some experts point of view lol
  • Dirty Howie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo,

I've looked at the list of digital cameras you've asked about and I'd choose this model:

TRUST 922Z Powerc@m OPT.ZOOM

With so many digital cameras out on the market it's really comes down to personal choice, what you're looking for in a digital camera. It's very subjective. But, to me, this digital camera seemed to have the best of all of them combined.

One thing you should look for in a digital camera is a Li-Lon rechargable battery.
  • Nome
  • Nome

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a Nikon 4300 :-p great camera...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 113 posts