Professional Camera

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone, i am quite keen on photography and would love to start taking more pictures as i am quite impressed on what i see daily in my home country of Scotland.

I am not sure of any good cameras that can take pictures in a very neat smart way. Its easy and cheap buying disposible (sp?) cameras but you just cant get the same quality you get from other cameras.

Does anybody know of any they can recommend to me. If so, what kind of price range would it come to?

Sorry if this topic is in wrong forum.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're in the right place :)

are you wanting to take pictures with 35mm or digital? Anything Nikon is recommended by me, in any form.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Digital would be great, alot easier to upload. It would be good at some point to create a site where i can sell proffesionally produced pictures that i have taken. I am not really qualified to say they are all fantastic and world class, but you can see what you get by clicking on the image (this idea is not really been thought about too much, so dont criticise).

I have been quite keen on photography for a while now although its not something i have considered making a career out of, just something for the spare time.

thanks for the reply UNFLUX.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're looking at spending quite a bit of money if you REALLY want to go with "Professional" class hardware.

A "Professional" level Digital SLR body starts at around US$2,500. "Professional" level lenses start at around a grand each, and go upwards from there (again US$).

I know UK prices on camera equipment is even more expensive than the US.

You can go for high end amateur hardware, like the Nikon D70 or D100, which will still produce outstanding (6.1MP) images, and while both of those models have their distinct advantages (the faster flash sync & buffer of the D70, vs. the Vertical Grip addon & mechanical cable release of the D100) they both have their disadvantages too (the D70 cannot make use of a vertical grip for extra battery life or easier portrait shooting, it will ONLY shoot compressed NEF - which is NOT lossless, and it feels very lightweight compared to the D100. The D100 only has 1/180th second flash sync, and the buffer is slightly slower).

If you want to go SERIOUSLY high end, Nikon have just announced the D2x (which is what I'm now working towards getting). This camera is 12.4MP 5FPS or 8FPS 6.8MP high-speed cropped mode), it has GPS capabilities and 802.11g wireless networking support to transfer images straight from your camera to an FTP server via wireless interface. I wouldn't try the WiFi to publish live on the net unless you're hooked up with a T3, but for transferring quickly to laptop or LAN, it's as good as having unlimited memory cards in your camera. USB2, etc. This camera was just announced a couple of months ago and is expected to have a street price in the US of around $5,000 when it actually starts hitting the streets (which is supposed to be either this month or next).

Giving us an idea of your spending limit would allow us to help you out better with this one. You could spend as little as a thousand, or as much as... well, what did your house cost again? ;)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:

i feel like saying "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!" but if i was to be honest thats really what i expected.

There is no way $5000 is in my price range at the moment especially as i dont really know alot of what i would be spending that cash on. I guess thats gonna be something i need to spend time working on getting in the next couple of years.

Of course, i could try this approach...

I could mention to my parents i would like a USB2 Camera for christmas and see what they say :lol:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to start out basic, with good quality equipment, pick yourself up a used Nikon D100, and a few low-end basic lenses.

A Nikon D100 in the US used can be had for around 800 bucks (about UKP450). Now, whether you can get them used for that price in the UK I don't know, but it's worth looking around.

As far as lenses. At a minimum, to start off with..

The Nikon 50mm f/1.8D-AF lens - this lens in the US costs about 50 quid, and is one of Nikon's finest ever lenses. Super sharp.

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6D-AF or 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G-AF. They've quit making the D version of this lens, but if you find one used for a good price in mint condition, grab it. It's a bit sharper than the G, although the G version can focus closer to the camera. I've had both. I got rid of the G and got the D. This lens is also the equivalent of about 50 quid in the US.

Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6AF or Tamron 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. Personally I feel the 75-300 is the better lens. Nikon no longer make this, and replaced it with the 70-300 (in both G & D flavours). The D version of Nikon's 70-300 costs about US$300, and is quite a bit better than the G version at around $125. The problem is, Tamron's 70-300mm lens costs around $150 and is identical (made in the same factory) as Nikon's D version of the lens. So, go for the Tamron, or the older Nikon 75-300mm (which is around US$125-150 for a decent quality one).

All in all, you could have the basics of all you need for about UKP600-700 if you shop around. This would be MORE than plenty to get you going in the basics of SLR photography, and once you get good enough, even with introductory level equipment like that, you can still make some money - enough money to pay for itself, and upgrade you to better equipment.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will have a look on ebay and see if there are any going at good prices. Its something i will leave maybe till early next year (Christmas shopping has damaged the finances) so its not something i will be looking for in the next couple of weeks. Not that important.

Thanks for your help though Axe and Unflux.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts