question about full width header

• Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i want to make a banner with the links under it that takes up the entire pages width how wide should i make it? i dont want there to be empty or smooshed space on other dimensions. thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about width=100%? It really depends on what you're trying to do. If youre just filling it with a color, then do width=100%. If you have content you still want aligned, make the content a separate div and overlay it on the header banner.
  • Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

its an image. I set it to 780 like another topic i had but there is still some space when set 800 by 600
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, there should be 20 left. You could centre the header and set a background image to fill any space left whatever size the site is viewed in.
  • Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah there is 20 left but even with the scroll bar it's still got space on both sides.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have to take into account that it may look okay in 800x600 when you set it to 100% width, because it's only stretching by a small amount. But when someone is viewing in a higher resolution, it will look rediculous because it will be stretched so much horisontally, but stay the same vertically.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

My personal preference is to put a <800 transparent image in the header, then use a right aligned background image in the header div, and no width property, since a div with no width will span the width of the browser (taking margins into consideration, of course).

The header div has a background color and the background image fades to that color on the left edge.

The overall result is a header that spans the width of the browser, no matter how large, and it doesn't get terribly boring because of the right-aligned background image. For an example, check out http://www.kgreene.com/

View it at 1600x1200 (or whatever your highest resolution is) then view it at 800x600.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts