Received Logo source file in .CDR but need in .PSD

• zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I got a logo designed for my website but unfortunately the designer used corel draw rather than photoshop. I have no idea of how to use corel draw and need to work with the layers to create print quality logos and for the web. Is there any way to convert or transfer the file from cdr to psd including layers and everything rather than as an image? :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried to open it in your PS app?
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i tried but it doesn't work
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your going to have whoever created the logo save it as a .psd.
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

They have refused to do that saying they donot use photoshop and corel draw is more internationally accepted, thank you for your consideration though.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get them to export it as an EPS with type converted to outlines; you should then be able to import/open this in Photoshop.
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

will the EPS format include layers and everything so that i may edit it?
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, sorry - no. I forgot you needed it in layered form.

What kind of edits do you want to perform on a logo? Could you get them done by the designer before the EPS is saved?

Besides, if you're modifying the logo for print work you probably don't want to be using Photoshop. CorelDRAW, Illustrator or the free InkScape (vector-based programs) would be better.
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

would you be able to recommend a basic tutorial on editing graphics for printing and resizing graphics in corel draw. I think i will get myself into corel draw now.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd recommend simply having a play first. If you get stuck on anything post back.

As for resizing things, use the handles around an object, possibly using the shift key to constrain proportions (however, I think CorelDRAW contrains proportions anyway).
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I shall try this and post back tomorrow. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

zoi wrote:
They have refused to do that saying they donot use photoshop and corel draw is more internationally accepted, thank you for your consideration though.

Wow, that is very unprofessional. They should be able to provide whatever format or file type that is requested by the client, regardless of international acceptance. I would love to help, especially somebody thats dealing with a stubborn artist. May I ask why you need to edit your logo?
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to edot the logo to enter the actual url rather than just the site name and i need to create a jpeg image to place on the website and to create a tiff image to give to my printer to print a banner. I will be trying to transfer by playing around in an hour or so, then i will post back.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

zoi wrote:
...and to create a tiff image to give to my printer to print a banner.

Try to stick to vector formats when supplying artwork to a printer; eg. EPS or PDF.
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I just installed corel draw and opened the file, this might sound like a stupid question but where are the layers in corel draw and what format should i export the image in or save as as there isnt any conventional file type that i recognise like jpeg or tiff?
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea. Most of us here in the States use PS. If it doesn't "save as..." the file type(s) you need look for exporting options. You should be able to export just about every file type.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

zoi wrote:
where are the layers in corel draw

I don't know I'm afraid - use the Help menu. You may find that it's just a load of objects on one layer. As it's vector you'll be able to select each one with the pointer tool. Have a play around and see what you can find.

zoi wrote:
what format should i export the image in or save as as there isnt any conventional file type that i recognise like jpeg or tiff?

If you can export as EPS, Photoshop should import it.
  • gavner
  • Born
  • Born
  • gavner

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, i just saw your enquiry on this forum, i know its a late but if you still require the info here it is, i had the same problem, in order for you to convert a cdr file to psd format in layers, all you have to do is place place each seperate component on a seperate layer in corel draw using the object manager, after that you can export the image in psd format and it will be in layers no problem
  • cognitivedw
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Barrie, Ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

They may not be able to export as .psd but they can export to a .ai file. Make sure you ask them to convert the text to curves. You can then edit the logo all you want in illustrator

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts