Saving .tiff into jpeg in PS CS3

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is kinda funny. I've not come across this before.

I have been using Adobe Lightroom to access my files recently. When i click to "edit files in Photoshop CS3" i have no problems, however when it comes to saving an amended a file as a .jpg. It turns out that Lightroom seems to upload any files as a .tiff format.

Every other file i create shows all the format options that are available in PS CS3.

Now, does anyone know how i can save the file as a .jpg from it being a .tiff file? Even better, does anyone know how to change the file format images are opened on through Lightroom? I thought it would be as easy as changing the format when i click "save as..." but this doesn't appear to be the case as you will see on the attachment to this topic.

Attachments:
odd.jpg

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has anyone come across this before?

No search on Google has found anything close to the problem here.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your problem may be the content of the file. Photoshop by default has a tendency to save lots of additional content with a file (layer structure, adjustments, folders, editable text) and only a few file types, including a tiff, allow that structure to remain.

The other issue is likely that lightroom is trying to preserve your file at the best possible quality and therefore choosing a lossless format like png, tiff, psd (with a jpeg the image is recompressed each time you save, which over time degrades the image).

There are a few ways around this from inside of PS (not sure about lightroom)

The first option is the save for web: File -> Save for web and devices -> Dialogue box to pick file type and compression etc. What this does is save a "web" copy of your file. Won't replace the tiff but you get a jpeg out of the deal.

The other option is to flatten your image (destroy the layer structure) to allow you to save as a jpeg. To do this open your image and look for a little arrow in the upper right corner of the layers pallet. Click the layer and select "Flatten Image" then try the "Save As" command. You should see different file type options.

hope that helps.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks.

I definitely think it has something to do with Lightroom because having already gone through the steps you suggested it just doesn't appear to show any file type other than the ones i listed before regardless of whether there are any layers or not.

The information in your post is helfpul, however doesn't quite solve the issue. Thank you for the useful information.

I briefly had a look through the options on Lightroom and discovered that i can change the External Editing file formate to .PSD so i will give that a go and see what happens there. It sounds right, but i've just not had time to work on that this afternoon. I will check it out and let you know in a few minutes if this seems to do the trick.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No luck unfortunately. This is odd, i've never had this problem on any photoshop program.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you all want to know what was wrong and how to fix it? :lol:

I had been working on '16 bit' in Photoshop. For me to see the other options i had to convert my photos to '8 bit' by clicking on "Image>Mode>8 bit".

I guess the files i had been editing through the lightroom software had been changing it to 16 bit as i'd never had this problem on the Bridge software i had been using mostly beforehand.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that would do it. I always forget about that (I don't really work with HDRI imagery where 16bit is useful). Sorry I didn't think to tell you to try that.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know how to make Photoshop read files in 8 bit automatically?

I'm currently having to change each and everyone from 16bit to 8bit when i come to save them at the moment.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems to me that the issue is more with lightroom. PS typically doesn't alter a file at all when its read in, so it would seem that the files are starting out 16bit somehow. Maybe a setting in lightroom? The other question is where the images come from originally... If they come from a digital camera its highly unlikely that they're native 16bit but if they come from something like a 3d program there's a chance that they're being output in that format.

http://www.photoshopkillertips.com/archives/285

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts