shadowing

• spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

How does one go about creating shadow effects like the ones used on this one? Not like dropshadows but actual shadowing on the image to create the 3d effect.

It looks so smoooooooooooth. mmmmmmmmm.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well with the attached image it doesn't look smooth at all lol but with any image software you could make a nice shadow in any colour
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are reffering to the shading in the earth, there are a few ways you could achieve that. What I usually end up doing is making a copy of that layer, and just add a clircular gradient to that. Lower the opacity a lot, perhaps change the layer style.

If you are reffering to under the fox, looks like just a gradient there
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, I meant shading. How would you make those defined lines and different gradients like that?
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I'm not mistaken, the FireFox and Thunderbird logos were created by using Macromedia Fireworks - a program also similar to Adobe Illustrator which uses vector graphics. What you see in that logo is a variety of different shapes each consisting of color or gradient which overall create the look and feel of that logo...

Hope that helps.
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

So they took many vector shapes and gave each on a seperate gradient. I'm sorry, I'm ahving a hard tiem grasping the general idea. If someone could perhaps slap together a quick tuturoial? Or maybe link me up with one?
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your getting the idea - take the nose of the FireFox logo for instance - the top part is red, the bottom a beige and the tip black - those are three different shapes right there.

As for the parts with gradients, lets take the fur for example, each detail of fur is a shape with a yellow to orange gradient. These shapes brought together to make on overall appearance of a slick fox wrapping around the world.

I was breifed on the process of the firefox logo via a blog from one of the people that created it - if I come across the link again I'll post it hear...it was the same as any logo process - a brainstorming session loaded with various sketches until finally something like the final output started coming together - when in Fireworks, a program which is pretty useful for creating icons, it was easy for the designer to conjur up what was on paper.
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I can't wait to put my idea on paper onto computer. It is so tight.
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

so each part is just sa pen shape filled with a gradient?
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not necessarily just a pen shape, just a unique shape created by manipulation... Like in Illustrator where with the pathfinder tool, you can create a variety of shapes from multiple existing shapes on the canvas...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts