Shortcut for the magic wand tool

• web_noob
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • web_noob

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still a noobie at Photoshop. :? The image I designed below is the foundation for my paintball team's logo (FYI: my team is called "Fresno Turmoil"). Is there a way to have all the black content selected without having to use the magic wand?

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You image file size (memory wise) is WAY too big for ozzu. It has taken so long for it to load on this computer that i've given up actually waiting to find out how big it is. You should link it instead, and preferably reduce the memory size.

A little tip for photoshop, if you are creating a graphic which you are wanting to upload to the internet then you need to consider how many Kilobytes or even megabytes it has. You really should never have a graphic that big higher than 20kb, especially for demonstration purposes such as this on Ozzu.

Regarding your black? well, i think you could be giving yourself a bit of a tricky job. What i would probably do (and i must emphasise this is perhaps not the best way to go about this) is to select the layer the graphic is on and at the top of the screen in the options click on "Layer">"Blending Options">Click on Stroke and select a neutral colour other than black and press OK. Once you have done this by clicking the magic want tool and holding Shift to pick up the areas that you never managed to get originally and delete it if that is what you are wanting to do.

You can then go and change the stroke colour and width to whatever it is you like.

Of course, to have an even more accurate answer to what you were wanting then you can go over to the tool bar on the left of the screen and hold the left mouse button on the lasso tool to select the polygonal or magnetic lasso. Your best option for following a shape is to use the magnetic lasso.

You need to let us know what it is you are trying to do for me to be more exact on my answer. I've just assumed a few things here.

Let us know if this has helped.

//

Just as i was typing this, the graphic finally displayed at 63kb, i guess my computer is just being slow today.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
# Do not post any inline images larger than 600px wide
# Keep file sizes for inline images under 300 KB, otherwise use an external link

The image falls within the specs.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, i understood that. I should have just assumed that my computer was pretty messed up this morning for whatever reason.

I apologise.
  • joolszee2005
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • joolszee2005
  • Loc: UK by the sea side

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this the design for the teashirt you where talking about in the other post?

Which colour mode are you in out of interest? RGB, Greyscale, Lab, bitmap?
Check this by going to Image>mode

First of all, I was wondering if it might be better to work in Greyscale or bitmap and not RGB or CMYK mode, as the image is just black and white, and make sure the resolution is not too low. If you have done it at 300ppi this would be ok. With bitmap images the resoultion should be as high as possible.

Secondly are the teashirts going to be screen printed, as the person printing the tea shirt might need your files as bitmap The design would screen print very well?

(The term Bitmap, not to be confused with .BNP file format).

http://www.screenprintedwear.com/images/DSCN1158.jpg example

google all this!

Selecting the black without the wand.

If you are in greyscale mode, Go Window> Channels> you will see the grey scale channel, (apple)mac/control(PC) click on the channel bar, this should load the selection of the channel, without using the wand. When you are happy with the design you can convert to bitmap at a later on.

Bitmap mode doesn't support many features, such as rotate, or any of the filters so it is best to do the designing in greyscale. But the final file SHOULD be Bitmap.

Sorry about this hurried message.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts