Showin Off

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was very surprised to come back and see the same old threads still. I remember when this forum was full of life. So, I decided to add a new thread and I guess I will post some of the last few things I did for you to look at and whatever.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is some seriously fine work, but coming from you I'm not at all surprised. Most excellent!
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you ATNO, most appreciated. Here, I meant to post the before and after for you guys to check out but I was at work.

I hope this will spark some questions, ask away.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you target specific areas for color/tone changes without having your selections bleed into areas they shouldn't ?

I try occasionally, but I always have smudges and mis-steps that stick out like a sore thumb. I've been getting closer using vector masks and multiple layers, but even when I'm using non-destructive alterations like that I have a hard time getting it right when I even can at all. :)
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use adjustment layers, particularly Hue & Saturation. Specifically, her lips and finger nails I used adjust. layer like so;

create adjust layer and select to adjust red hues only, using the hue slider I turned red to purple, pushed the saturation up and the lightness down, next I filled the layer with black, finally I zoom in real tight and using a brush set to brush size 1-2 pixels, hardness 10%, opacity 100%, flow 90% and with white I paint over the desired areas (lips and finger nails).

Note: Because the adjustment layer is only affecting the red hues in the image even if you paint outside the lines a little bit there is no noticeable change if any. Also, the adjustment layer has color sliders at the bottom, great for better defining your target areas.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh wow, talk about granular control.

I was just looking at the hair in the Porcelain Doll, I can't imagine being able to lighten her complexion like that without adding odd highlights to the hair color.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the Porcelain Doll I used a curves adjustment layer to initially lighten the skin at the same time I used it to darken the hair, then on a new layer set to lighten I used a wide brush opacity about 30% flow to about 10% and proceeded to lighten specific areas on the face; forehead, nose, cheeks,chin, etc., then, with opacity set to 10% I went over the areas with hair, then with my eraser size to about 8 opacity 10% flow 80% I went over the hair removing any faint highlights.

Note: Precision work I do precisely as possible at least 3x zoom so that any errors are invisible to the naked eye.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts