SLR camera possibilities

• ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about Canon Rebel EOS 350D XT with some lens.

What should be included into usuall packing, what could i buy latter and what lens should be included to have possibilities as on digital cameras with optic-zoom of 6x or maybe 10x.

Since i'm not very good vith SLR cameras and did not use any of them please for easy explanation that i could understand.

What is the difference between above Canon model and Nikon d50.

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

That one is better than my Canon Rebel that I use now and I love my camera. I paid about 1700 for mine with a whole lot of extras and two lenses. so if you were to ask me I am bias on the subject right now.

the one you want to respond would be AXE he is really good and very knowledgeable about cameras and almost everything with them.

mtg
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've not used a D50 personally, but from reading up on it in the latest Outdoor Photographer magazine (they've got a mini-review of it), it seems like it'd be worth spending the extra and getting a D70 or D70s.

The 350D I've not used either, but from what I hear it's a very nice camera. I played around with a 20D a couple of weeks ago with a 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens... VERY slow to autofocus, but incredibly sharp images.

Personally, I prefer Nikon, so I'd lean towards the D50 or D70/D70s (or even a D100). It all really depends on WHY you want to go with an SLR - and how much cash you want to spend.

Are you just wanting to take good quality photographs? Or do you REALLY want to learn photography and upgrade to professional gear in the future?

If you just want to take good quality photos, and keep the camera for a few years, go for a D70 or D70s (or D50 if your budget doesn't stretch to a D70/D70s). If you want to eventually progress to professional level equipment, go with a D100 and the MB-D100 vertical grip. The D100 has a magnesium alloy body (the D50/D70/D70s have a plastic body), and it's a much more substantial feel to it, but at about the same price as a D70 now - again, I shoot Nikon so I can only speak for their cameras.

As far as lenses, with SLR, all there is is "optical". Whether you get zoom or not depends entirely on what lenses you buy.

Personally, I like primes (fixed focal length lenses). I have the 50mm f/1.8D and the 300mm f/4D ED-IF AF-S. I intend to add an 85mm f/1.8D and the 105mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor. You generally get a MUCH better quality of image with primes over zooms.

With the D50, D70 or D100, you'll want to get the 18-70DX and the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G lens. Those will give you a good range to get you started. The 18-70DX is around $250, the 70-300G is around $125.
  • ZAKD
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ZAKD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a friend that has a friend in New york and we ask him to check some prices on Canon EOS 350D and he find some posible price for 620$ but i supose is without the lens and we ask him to check it out once again. Even if i add the lens costs of approx. 130$ = 750$ is acceptable but for more money i'm not sure. Also i will ask to ckeck some prices for Nikon d50 or Pentax *ist DS but in any case it will be very hard to spend more money than 750$.

If not i will have to satisfied myself with regular p'n's digital camera like Canon S2 IS as on the beggining.

well, thanks for now
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

A 350D for $620 is a scam, trust me.

You were already shown that price in another thread, and I already showed you how the company advertising it is a bait-n-switch scumbag.

If you wanna go throw your money away, then you go right ahead :)
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with axe on that one with the price here is a review for the camera under a google search

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

as you can see if you scroll down that camera is more than that price you quoted at $620.

I did a froogle and came up on average but one place and they do advertize it for 629 at usaphotonation.com and if you look at what you are getting with that is just the camera body and nothing else you have to buy the batery and charger which is 149. and then the lenses and your up to the normal price of the camera which is around the 850 mark.

mtg
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, USA Photo Nation was the place that was posted before, and if you look at resellerratings.com, USA Photo Nation has a 0.9/10 rating (Yes, that's 0.9, not 9).
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should know about being taken from a web like that due to I was taken. the only good thing was that the product was a good product but if I had bought it from my friend at ritz camera I would have paid about $200 less than I did. Thank god that I was only taken for about $200 and not $2000. it could have been much worse than it was. From now on I will froogle it and see the average price and then find the best rating from the consumers that have bought from them before.

mtg
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi im new to photography. and looking at geting a SLR, D50 was what i was thinking of!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're better spending the lil extra and getting a D70.

The price difference between the two on B&H's website is about 30 bucks. I imagine it'd be a similar difference in the UK.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts