Sort of point-of-view difficulties.

• ashley
  • Loc: Newfoundlandia

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I'm working this, uh. Project, I guess you could call it that. Which is a bit of an interactive city thing. You can go into the buildings and walk through them. Mind you, its not done yet, so only the first building works. Well, thats not true, some of the alleys work, but the first building is the only one that matters.

I seem to have run into some sort of problem.

http://jinxed-insanity.org/everodd/digi ... =main.html - If you click on the first building, you go through the door, and you're standing in the lobby, in front of what we can assume is the front door. You can either go to the elevator, or to the hall on the right. Click on the hall, then click on the door at the end of it. Now you're in this machine-type room, in front of the door you just came through. If you click on the door on the right, you end up back at the veiw of the city. Logically, you just came out of the little grey building. (I'm going to make this more obvious once I work out the kinks.)

So if you click on the grey building, you go back to that room. But you see it from the same angle as you did when you came through the hall. But you stand in front of the door you just came through, so which door did you come through?

In order for it to work, I'd have to draw a different picture for every angle you could see the room at. So if you went through the front door of the grey building, you'd see this instead:

But I'm far too lazy to do that with every room. And I'm really bad at recreating rooms at a different angle.

Any suggestions on what I could do?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

From my old MUD gaming days, descriptions of rooms were always created generically. That is to say, you never saw "The door with which you came through is behind you". You'd also notice this type of thing in third person adventure games in the 90s. You would always enter the room from the direction you came, and not the perspective of the player. This made it easier for developers since they'd only have to create one room and they could have multiple exits and entrances to it.

I think if you stick to a single perspective, and just keep the descriptions from being to specific, you'd be set. To fix the problem of having to go south, I would suggest adding a floor mat, or just hotspot the southern part of the image and people will understand that that means they can go back.

I have to say, I absolutely love your idea, I've been playing around with doing a text based PHP backeneded adventure/exporation game, or a unique website navigation system like this for a while. I can't wait till this is all done, it looks great this far.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another option I just thought of is to draw it from a 2 point perspective instead of 1. That way you'd always be looking from the corner of the room, and could see all exits.
  • ashley
  • Loc: Newfoundlandia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I'm going to try to do the floor mat thing, mind you, they're meant to be the top veiw of the door, but. You know. That doesn't make a lot of sense so if people want to think they're doormats then they can.

And. I don't think its ever going to be done. I mean for it to be a continous thing. :P
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bookmarked it. I love the idea, and I think I might try something similar in Isometric Pixel art style. I think I'll go with PHP and create some sort of story, or multiplayer world or something. Keep me/Ozzu up to date when you update :-D

//edit --- mwhahah just took the elevator...soul eating cats *snickers gleefully*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts