Stereographic images

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Troubadour wrote:
Apparantly, people with perfect vision only ever use binocular/stereo vision to a distance of 4m, everything after that is monocular anyway...
so it is only a disadvantage for close in work.

Nope, it's a coupla hundred foot or so from what I read... Otherwise, people wouldn't know whether that car in front of them sharply applying the brakes was 20ft ahead or 50ft ahead :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just so you know,

streoscopic vision relates to the rror that exists metween viewing one object from two different sources.
Ie. two different eyes, in different positions in your head.

as the object gets furthwer waway from you, the Paraallax error if you like, is insignificant after 6m of distance (I thoght it was four - just got told by an optomotrist it is about 6).

So your brain still uses two eyes over long distances, but you are actually not seeing difference any longer, after that object is more than 6m away from you.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that makes sense
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dfacts.htm wrote:
ONE OF THE MOST fascinating aspects of our vision is that we can see in three dimensions, which permits us to judge distances of objects from us and from one another. This ability is known as stereopsis, and although there are a number of factors that contribute to it, the most important - at least for distances up to about 200 feet (60 m) - is binocular vision ("two-eyed seeing"). Our eyes are separated by an average of 2.5 inches (64 mm) and each one sees a slightly different view than the other.

I'll admit that it is much easier to judge the longer distances by having a frame of reference within that first 20ft you mention, but there are noticable differences at further distances.

I guess it depends on how good your eyes are. On a 14" monitor, I run in 1024x768, on a 15" I'm in 1280x1024, on a 17" or 19" I'm in 1600x1200 if the monitor can handle it, that's way too small for most people sat only 12" from the monitor, but I can read Verdana size 8 on a 19" 1600x1200 CRT from a distance of 4-6ft away from the front of the glass. So, I'm probably better at picking out the details on longer distances so the difference is more noticable.

As I said, over 20ft, the differences between each eye are extremely slight, but they are there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts