Taking the plunge...

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, well I guess I will show another side of myself here at Ozzu. I don't want everyone to think i'm just the shy guy that only hangs out in the Flash and Actionscript section only posting once in a blue moon.

I also enjoy dabbling in a little graphic design and digital doodling. Here are a few thing's i've done.

I recently completed 4 works, these are...

Angst and Sorrow (done in Flash MX)
Ziggyesque (done in Painter Classic)
Look Suzie (done in Flash MX)
Robot (done in Painter Classic)

Some stuff I have done in the past are (all in photoshop)...

Squalid Reverb
Cascade 45
Lostinbeta vs Mdipi (was a photoshop battle)
Soul Searching
Tyler SW
Sulfide Dream

Oh yeah, and i've also been known to be quite the pixel monkey as well....

Apartment Phase 1
Apartment Phase 2
Apartment Phase 3
Apartment Phase 4 (was supposed to continue after this, but never finished)

Winter: The Season To Fear (another photoshop battle)

Image Image Image Image Image

I was a bit nervous about venturing into this section, but I figured I have been here long enough, and very rarely drift out of the Flash and Actionscript section, I thought it was time to show another side of me. I hope you guys enjoy my stuff, if not, don't be afraid to tell me, i'm not afraid of the truth.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

its great work mate! good for you to put it out there! :thumbsup:
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks darlin' :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

your welcome luvvy!!! :D
  • PeAzZ
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

great job....there realy cool keep working

i like them alot
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like that pixel stuff a lot! Does it take ages?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like doing pixel stuff too...

i do it on sigs tho..

like this

well done lost..
great pixel art...
never been able to make actuall images out of it tho..
i just use it to make stuff fancy.

seems you are a lil wiz with PS as well...
hope to see more from you!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the way you are going with your latest. Reminds me a lot of gerald scarfe's work. Looks very nice, would like to see more of it.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

@FusionDesigner: Pixel art takes some time yes, but as you get a system down you can pick up your speed. You figure out shortcuts like just pixeling an outline and filling with a paint bucket, and duplicating sections of a line and moving it to make the line longer quicker (if the line is on an angle). One of the hardest things to get around when making pixel art scenes is the perspective, although it doesn't have to be, a lot of pixel art is done in an isometric perspective.

@nucleo: That's pretty good. I am hoping you really just did 1/4 of that and flipped it for each corner though. Otherwise that must have left you with a huge migraine. It's surprising you can make intricate things like that, but can't make actual images.

@Vladdrac: I'm not really sure who Gerald Scarfe is, I will google him when I get more free time :) This has kind of been my style for a long time, I just didn't have a way to put that on the computer screen. Now that I have a drawing tablet it's a lot easier :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

also...
ur lil pixel characters are very cool as well lol..

yes, i did 1 corner, flipped it
and 1 section of the border and C&P

lol

i have never tried pixel pictures like ur apartment...
but i am wanting too lol
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks :) I have so many pixel "me"s because I actually had little series going... I would make a few on one subject, a few on another, and just "dress" them differently. I don't know, I ended up stopping that. Perhaps I should just move on and make different characters altogether... poor pixel edwin (blue shirt) is so lonely :(

You should try pixel art like my apartment, it's so fun and addicting :)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

gerald scarfe was the artist that did the cartoons in the movie pink floyd the wall. He was also a popular caricaturist in englend in the 80s
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lost,

Hey I _LOVE_ all the work :) Glad to see you finally posting here ;) Angst and Sorrow would make for a great desktop background :) Your photoshop works are awesome, I love Cascade 45, such a nice, crisp image.

Your pixel images are neat, I think we should come up some sort of "Ozzu Pixelville" :-P It'd be pretty neat! I think I might give those appartment things a try, if you don't mind me borrowing the idea! :)

Good job, and can't wait to see more work from ya!
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, maybe one day I will scale it up and make it a wallpaper :) I have a couple requests for that.

And I don't know if Ozzu Pixelville will be a successful project. We tried that over at kirupaForum and it bombed. What did succeed was all participants creating their own pixel person and it got added to a flash movie ( http://www.sintax321.com/ppk.html ) and your character linked to your kirupaForum profile. But that problem eventually bailed as no one had any time to keep up with updating the movie.

And sure go ahead with the apartment, it wasn't originally my idea. I started it because I was hoping to add it to Mr. Wong's Soup'Partments, but alas I got sidetracked and didn't finish in time to have it added in :( Ended up just not finishing it.

I did a few other pixel things, but I can't find them at the moment.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

heheh this IS addicting :). I think it would be cool if we made a few city blocks and then used div positioning along with transparent gifs to build a little city. A php script could actually control each lot from a database...hrmmm... Oh well this is what I have thus far!

And that Mr. Wongs thing is awesome! So many great creations :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice job!

i am gonna give this a go right now lol
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe hope you have some time set aside...addicting addicting addicting :-D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now all we need is the scripts, some annoying repetitive MIDI files and there we go... Sim-PHP-City 2004 (Ozzu Edition) ;)

Great work LIB! :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Sim-PHP-City 2004 (Ozzu Edition)

sounds like fun..
we could have an OzzuHotel going on!

i have just started...
and no
i am NOT going to finish lol
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe I might write something up but gotta come up with contraints first and such ;)

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

LIB: This is WONDERFUL stuff. You seem so comfortable in your work. I hope you won't hesitate to post more.

I really had to slow down and enjoy each piece.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, look what I have started. I come back from work and see all this...lol.

dM: Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed my work enough to slow down and take them in. That makes me feel good. If you could clarify for me though... what exactly does "you seem so comfortable in your work" mean? I have a basic idea I think, but i'm not entirely sure... haven't heard that phrase before.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

LIB: There are times when I approach a creative effort and I fall into my groove and enjoy the clarity of it. My mind is free from distractions. I can visualize easily and translate that to my medium. Then there are other times when I have to force it and commit to partial ideas that aren't really working.

After putting some time between me and the work, I can easily see when I was 'comfortable' and when I wasn't.

When I look at the creative work others, it tends to strike me that the person doing the work felt good about what they're doing, or, conversely felt uncomfortable with it.

When I look at your work, I don't see that you're struggling. The ideas in the pieces are coherent and complete. I don't see placeholders, or bits that didn't get finished.

I just don't see you second guessing yourself. I think that's why your work....well...works.

I know this all probably sounds hokey. Maybe tomorrow I'll wish I hand't blathered on like some kind of silly prat.
:P
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I know exactly what you mean now :)

And yeah, I have a ton of those kinds of pieces, but I won't dare post them....lol.

But here are more I seem to have skipped over...

Here is a generic series based on stock photos of sunflowers that I absolutely loved.

Sunflower Escapades 1
Sunflower Escapades 2
Sunflower Escapades 3
Sunflower Escapades 4

Here is another series I did that combines Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I don't actually have Adobe Illustrator, nor have I used it much, but I got to mess with it at a friends house, saved the files, and Photoshopped them at home...

Moments of Exacerbation Volume One
Moments of Exacerbation Volume Two
Moments of Exacerbation Volume Three

And some logo type thingers I did in Illustrator.

Logos

Random again....

Trash
63nd3r c0nfuz10n

Hope you like these too :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

man those are really cool as well, you got some true talent there. Thank you for posting those.

Perhaps now you will be a regular to this forum as well? Hope so, I would like to see this particular forum more active. However I myself haven't contributed much, but if more people do, perhaps I will be inspired to post and create more.

Thanks again
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

well you already know I love your work, which is why we're working together ;).

There's quite a of lot of stuff here that I've never seen though!
Surprising in a very good way! I love everything as usual...very inspiring
Shane.

Good stuff sir :thumbsup:
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Vladdrac: I wouldn't call it talent. There are many many pieces before these that I have made that completely suck. These ones are just more recent, after i've practiced and learned from my mistakes. I wouldn't be where I am if UNFLUX and some other designer savvy people I talk to online weren't there to tell me "no, this sucks, and here's why". Brutally honest critiques are the only way to learn and grow.

@UNFLUX: Which ones haven't you seen? I could have sworn you've seen all my work from first to last. From worst to best. Interesting..... sorry about that then :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I understand completely what you are saying there. I think for myself I am down to where you were; at what you called the period "peices before that I have made that completely suck". But some of the stuff I am personally proud of, and It is good to look back, to see how much you have grown.

Yeah I also have a lot of stuff that I won't show (the pre-suck years). I am more of a pencil sketcher myself, so I am looking at scanning stuff now, and also learning the software.
  • mdipi
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey lost.

I have to say though, i still love Cascade 45 more than anything else you have ever done.

The new drawings look good, althought your FMX drawings are better than your painters. still good stuff though.

we should battle again, but this time, i'll make sure i kick your arse ;)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Vladdrac: You should look into getting a Wacom tablet. They allow you to take your pencil sketching to a digital level. Takes some getting used to, but the freedom is nice.

@mdipi: Really? I actually get that a lot, I don't know what it is about that image that people like, I guess because it's so crisp and it technically isn't an actual photo of a flower (it was a brush that I downloaded from the adobe stock xchange). And yeah, my work definitely shows that I am more comfortable with how Flash works than I am with painter. As I get used to the program I hope to get better.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts