• Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm diggin the first one there dM. great shot, nice textures. :thumbsup:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhh, the lesser known "Grey phase" green anole ;)

Great photos dM! :)

Anoles are so cute, but you don't get many Carolinensis here in Sarasota any more. It's mostly Sagrei (Brown anoles)...

The interesting thing about the Brown Anoles (Anolis Sagrei) is that you can tell what sex they are by their obviously different patterns. With Green Anoles (Anolis Carolinensis), most males will appear to be female at first glance (they have a white stripe down their backs) until they reach about 18 months old..

These are the browns. This is an old one I took back in 2001 with a Sony Mavica FD-83. The male is above, the much prettier (IMHO) female below. These were some babies we hatched out - they're each about 2" total length including the tail in this photo (we hatched out about 40 of these in 2001).

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's funny you said that about males and females. The anole I was taking pictures of was hanging out with a counterpart about 1/3 of his/her size. I read somewhere that the males won't hang out with each other. So, assuming it was a couple - do the males, or females, tend to be the largest ones?

btw: SHEEEESH!!! These guys(anoles) don't like attention, at all. It was a lot of work to get a couple half-arse shots. I intend to do more with Anoles this Spring/Summer, as well as humming birds.

This was my first roll of anoles. Not a good roll, at all. heh. No worry though. In South Carolina, any flat surface that has exposure to the sun will have an anole on it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The males tend to be larger - the size difference between sexes is much more noticable in browns than it is in greens...

The males also have a big red dewlap that comes out below their throat, like in these photo (green on left, brown on right)..

Image Image
http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/ ... zards.html

Females do also have dewlaps, but they are MUCH MUCH smaller (barely even noticable in greens, and only just big enough to be seen in browns).

From what I gather, males & females see differently. When a male anole shows off his dewlap, another male would see different colours than a female would see - another male sees a dewlap as a thread dispay. A female sees it as an attraction (if she's interested).

Males will generally not hang around near other males unless they want to take over their territory - or are desperately in need of food. The brown anoles here in the back yard seem to do well with about a 64 cubic ft territory area (4'x4'x4').

The Green anoles tend to live higher up in the trees. The Browns do live up there too, but mostly I see them at ground level, or within 3-4ft up a wall, tree or other structure.

Also, the greens lay their eggs up in the trees, the browns lay their eggs down on the ground - which is why so often when babies are hatching out, all you ever see is the brown anoles. They're all scurrying around the ground looking for bugs, and the greens are up in the trees out of view.

I like the photos you took. Are you planning to do more in black & white? It's not a style I'd choose myself, but it does give a them a very unique appearance that's pretty pleasing.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
btw: SHEEEESH!!! These guys(anoles) don't like attention, at all. It was a lot of work to get a couple half-arse shots.

A log full of termites may be just what you need DM. I don't know about the greens but when I take a log full of termites and beat it on the ground the browns come from everywhere to fill thier stomachs :D

Axe, do the browns like tadpoles ? Pops has a small pond in his back yard with tree frog tadpoles in it (from the couple that live in his staghorns) and the browns sit near the edge of the pond and I swear it looks like they are just waiting for the tadpoles to come close enough to snag.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the great info Axe, and the good idea, joebert!!!

Yes, I plan more b&w. I love it, and I'm not set up for color. I let my wife do all the color shots with her advantix camera. I shot these on 400 film. Waaaaay too fast. Next time I'll be using a more sensible 125. Didn't really matter with this roll. It was more of a testing the waters kind of thing.

Like I said, anoles and hummingbirds are my photo projects this season. I'm really looking forward to the challenge of capturing the images I want of the hummingbirds.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Axe, do the browns like tadpoles ?

I've not seen it personally, although I don't see why they wouldn't eat them.. Especially if it's a hot day, or they're feeling a little dehydrated.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, log full of termites is sure to bring 'em out...

Whenever we go to the reptile shows, Armstrong's Crickets usually gives us about 2-3,000 crickets from the leftovers at the end of the show just to feed the guys outside around out house, and they always know when it's Thursday :)

When we order crickets, they get dropped off on a Thursday. Usually what's left over gets thrown out.. So, they've learned what day, time & location we throw out the leftover crickets. They're always there to greet us at the back door when they know what's comin' :)

Smart lil critters.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts